Application Deadline:February 23, 2020
Applications are open for the 5th African World Heritage Youth Forum, a capacity building exercise focusing on Youth, Entrepreneurship and Heritage Sustainability in Africa. The Forum places an emphasis on entrepreneurship skills development towards promoting and increasing African youth participation in the stewardship and promotion of World Heritage in Africa in a creative and innovative approach. The forum aims to:
– Empower African youth through training and mentor-ship that will equip them with innovative and evaluation, business management, financial resources mobilization, financial sustainability and innovation, entrepreneurial mindset skills, communication and networking).
– Mobilise young people and harness youth creativity and innovation in World Heritage conservation and sustainable development efforts in Africa.
– Provide an opportune platform for the creation of networks, exchange of knowledge, sharing of experience and success stories between and among the youth across Africa.
– Raise youth awareness and appreciation of issues and threats facing Africa’s heritage while stimulating their involvement in entrepreneurship activities that could bring direct economic benefits to local communities living in or around World Heritage properties in Africa.
– Gather young people from different backgrounds and encourage them to become responsible guardians and ambassadors of World Heritage across Africa.
– Encourage youth to improve their innovation and creative capacities in developing sustainable initiatives in their countries, which take into account the present-day issues and Aspirations of the African Union Agenda 2063 and the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
Thirty-five (35) young entrepreneurs from all African countries will be selected for the forum. Applicants must
fulfil all of the following requirements:
• African citizen between the ages: 18 – 35;
• Minimum requirements: a post-secondary certified training and/or qualification;
• Fluency in English (being the working language of the Forum) and ability to communicate in at least one
of the other three official languages of the African Union (French, Portuguese and Arabic);
• Personal attributes: motivated, active and driven individuals interested in learning how to assess the
viability, feasibility, and desirability of new business ideas while engaging in a World Heritage network of young Africans eager to implement the outcomes of the forum in their home countries;
• Professional attributes:
o Social entrepreneurs, project holders or anyone looking to start a social enterprise in need of assistance to implementing their projects.
o Entrepreneurs and business owners who need to find new ways to create value in the market while championing sustainable conservation of promotion of Africa’s heritage.
o Acquainted with online media and digital platforms (social media e.g. Snapchat, Facebook,WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram, digital platforms, etc.).
o Bearers of ideas from different backgrounds and fields bringing innovative solutions to deal with the challenges that many African countries meet in safeguarding African heritage.
The eight-day Forum will consist of interactive oral presentations from youth participants and experts from different fields combined with hands-on activities, group sessions and discussions, as well as guided visits to Robben Island World Heritage site.
Participants will gain entrepreneurship knowledge and skills in business opportunity identification and evaluation, business management, financial resources mobilization for business start-ups and/or expansion, entrepreneurial mindset skills communication and networking, business plan development and sustainability of World Heritage.
Participants will also benefit from mentorship and technical support from the organizers of the Forum.
The results of the Forum will be presented on the 5th of May as part of the celebration of African World Heritage Day and during the 44th session of the World Heritage Committee in July 2020.
The costs for the forum participation (return airfare, accommodation, meals, local transportation in South Africa) will be covered by AWHF, ICCROM and RIM. Selected participants shall meet their own local costs in the country of origin, as well as visa application costs to enter the Republic of South Africa.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please be advised of this dropbox link: http://bit.ly/AWHFyouth-forum2020, that you can also make use of to access the word version of the Application Form to complete electronically, not in hand writing please and return back on dropbox.
Alternatively, if you experience any technical issues and cannot access the Application Form on dropbox, you can also request it from this email address: [email protected] to be emailed directly to you to complete and return back.
Each applicant should submit the following application package:
- The completed application form;
- A motivation letter (maximum 1 page) detailing your reasons for applying and experiences related to
entrepreneurship and heritage;
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum);
- A signed letter of recommendation from a university, organization or administrative
authority/supervisor or testimonial letter in case of individuals;
- Sixty (60) seconds video pitching and presenting the business idea/existing business.
For More Information: