Application Deadline: October 28th 2021
In order to achieve SDGs, there is growing needs for developing human resources that will contribute to appropriate policy decision and its implementation for tackling development issues in respective fields. In light of this, JICA offers a new program to enhance the capacity of mid-career public officials, academic researchers and other relevant individuals, who are expected to contribute to the socio-economic development of respective countries. The program will provide participants with a special program on Japanese development experiences as well as a degree program (Master/PhD) in a Japanese university.
- To foster young or mid-career personnel who contribute to tacking challenges in respective fields through political decision and implementation, and maintain long-term good relationship between Africa and Japan.
- All 49 Sub-Saharan African countries
- Young or middle Government officials or academics who wish to contribute policy formulation or implementation for tackling political and developmental issues, mainly in the fields of public policy/administration and economics.（Applicants from the private sector are not eligible to apply）
Applicants must satisfy the following requirements:
- – Nationality: Citizens of one of the 49 Sub-Saharan African countries
- – Less than 40 years of age (as of April 1st, 2022)
- – Education Background: Bachelor’s degree for Master’s degree course (equivalent to at least 16 years of academic background) Master’s degree for Doctor’s degree course (equivalent to at least 18 years of academic background)
- – Working Experience :
Applicants are required:
- to have more than 6 months working experience at their current organizations, and
- to obtain permission for application and securing reinstatement from their current organizations.
English Language Proficiency: Adequate English skills both in written and oral communication to complete the Master’s or Doctor’s course such as; TOEFL iBT :80 / CEFR :B2 (estimated score)
*The required level of English for admission may differ according to university
JICA will provide the following expenses for participant of the program that is equivalent
to similar JICA schemes.
- Tuition at Japanese university Master’s Degree programs (and research student).
- Allowances for living expenses, outfit, shipping etc. See the box below for more details.
- A round-trip airfare
Other costs should be covered by the participants’ organizations or other individuals.
*Participants are not allowed to work while their stay in Japan.
- Participants who wish to participate in “Additional Program” are provided with opportunities such as the networking fair with Japanese companies, internship at Japanese companies/organizations and Japanese language seminar, etc.
- Participants have an opportunity to join in Japan Development Studies Program (JICA-DSP). The program aims to know about Japan’s modernization and development experiences and its wisdom after World War II.
September, 2022 – August, 2025 (basically)
- 6 months as a research student if necessary
- In principle, 2 years for Master’s Program or 3 years for Ph.D. Program (It d (It depends on each program offered by universities)
- Participants may not be able to arrive in Japan by September 2022, depending on the situation of the pandemic. In such case, the participants are requested to start the program through online basis from their respective countries or enrollment will be postponed until participants are allowed to come to Japan in case the university does not provide online lectures
For More Information: