Deadline: August 31, 2020
Applications are open for the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award 2020. The Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves their understanding of climate change-related risks.
The 2020 Award focuses on how science can help insurers deal with extreme weather and climate risks. The Award is intended to support researchers whose research focuses on:
- Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change;
- Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
The four finalists receive:
- Monetary award:
- EUR 7,000 First finalist
- EUR 5,000 Second finalist
- EUR 3,000 Third finalist
- EUR 2,000 Fourth finalist
- Invitation for a one-day Award event in Munich with all costs covered
- Exposure of the finalists’ research projects on the website allianz.com
- Exclusive insights into the insurance industry’s work on climate change and extreme weather events
- Participation in a discussion round with the Award’s jury, experts and other guests from Allianz Group and academia.
- Open to university students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research should be applicable to focus and topic of Award.
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
Supporting documents consists of:
- Two-page non-technical essay based on their research
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor
- Filled and signed declaration form