Due Date: December 3, 2018
Applications are welcomed for the American Government Association Congressional Fellowship Program 2019/2020 The Program is an extremely selective, nonpartisan program committed to broadening understanding and awareness of Congress.
Considering That 1953, it has actually brought choose political researchers, reporters, federal staff members, health professionals, and other specialists to Capitol Hill to experience Congress at work through fellowship positionings on congressional personnels.
The nine-month program starts each November with an extensive one-month intro to Congress taught by leading professionals in the field. After orientation, fellows operate in positionings of their picking and likewise take part in continuous workshops and enrichment programs. Through this special chance, the American Government Association boosts public understanding of policy-making and enhances the quality of scholarship, mentor and reporting on American nationwide politics.
The program offers various advantages to advance your profession both throughout and after the fellowship year:
- Understand Congress from the within: Fellows acquire first-hand insights into Congress and the policy-making procedure through direct involvement on a congressional personnel. An extensive orientation and continuous expert advancement training even more improve the finding out experience.
- Advance your research study: Fellows from scholastic backgrounds establish special understanding to notify their research study. Alumni of the program have actually released foundation deals with Congress and policy-making after their fellowship year, supplying abundant scholastic accounts notified by their on-the-ground experiences in Congress.
- Notify class mentor with real-world insights: Alumni in academic community rely greatly on the fellowship experience to establish brand-new courses, consisting of simulation classes and policy workshops. Fellowship alumni likewise make use of their fellow alums and congressional contacts as class speakers.
- Participate in expert and civil service: Alumni have actually made use of the fellowship experience to reinforce their house organizations’ ties with Congress, assist in trainee internships on Capitol Hill, and to share their competence with policymakers and the general public.
- Broaden your network: Fellows establish varied contacts throughout the fellowship year. Fellows form sustaining expert and individual ties within Congress, amongst their fellowship accomplice, and within the wider network of Congressional Fellowship Program alumni.
- Experience history as it takes place: Fellows have a front-row seat to crucial occasions unfolding in the country’s capital.
- Receivers of the APSA Congressional Fellowship get a stipend of $52,500 The stipend covers the 9.5-month duration of the fellowship from November to August and is paid in twelve installations beginning in September of the fellowship year. Fellows likewise get funds to cover travel to and from Washington, DC, and funds for a journey to the district of the Member of Congress for whom they work
- Effective candidates to the William A. Steiger Fund likewise will get a stipend for the duration of time that they are going to scholars at the Centennial Center
- The Congressional Fellowship Program will cover the expense of tuition for fellows picked for the Congress and Diplomacy Course.
- For Political Researchers: Need to have finished a PhD in the last 15 years or will have safeguarded an argumentation in government by November of the fellowship year. The program is open to scholars in all disciplines within government who can reveal an academic interest in Congress and policy-making.
- For Reporters: Reporter fellows are early and mid-career print and broadcast reporters (consisting of online reporters) who have an expert interest in Congress. Prospects need to have a bachelor’s degree and 2 to 10 years of expert experience in print or broadcast journalism, which might consist of or include experience in expert online journalism.
- For the APSA-MCI Communications: Applicants for the APSA-MCI Communications Congressional Fellowship are early and mid-career reporters and scholars in all disciplines and fields with an expert interest in public law and telecoms. Candidates might be scholars who have actually finished a PhD in the last 15 years or will have safeguarded an argumentation by November of the fellowship year, or might be reporters who cover this subject with 2 to 10 years of expert experience in either print or broadcast journalism (consisting of online journalism).
- For All Fellowship Categories: Choice is provided to those without comprehensive Capitol Hill experience.
For additional information, go to APSA