Deadline: October 1, 2020
Applications for the Sheikh Zayed Book Award 2020 are now open. The award is given each year to the makers of culture, thinkers and creators, and publishers, and young people, for their contributions in the areas of development, authorship, and translation in the humanities that have a clear impact on enriching cultural, literary and social life.
In recognition of the prestige of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and his pioneering role in unification, development and state and human development, it was decided to establish a scientific award bearing the name “Sheikh Zayed Book Award”, which is an independent award. This award was established with the support and sponsorship of the Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi.
- Child and Youth Literature
- Arts and Critical Studies
- Young Author
- Development and State Building
- Publishing and Cultural Techniques
- Arab Culture in other Languages
- Cultural Personality of the Year
The total value of all Sheikh Zayed Book Award branches is AED 7 million, granted as follows:
- An amount of AED 750,000 for the winner of each of the eight award branches.
- An amount of one million dirhams for the winner of the Cultural Personality of the Year branch.
- A gold medal bearing the approved award logo and a certificate of appreciation for all winners of the nine award branches
- Authors, publishers and translators of any nationality can apply;
- The candidate must have contributed to the development of thought and creativity in Arab culture, whether it is from creators, thinkers or publishers, and that the candidate works achieve a high degree of originality and innovation, and represent a true addition to human culture and knowledge.
- The candidate has the right to apply for only one of the award’s categories.
- The book does not have the right to nominate another prize in person or by proxy in the same year.
- The nominated literature must be in Arabic.
- The intellectual and creative product be published in the form of a “paper book”.
- The book has been published, and it has not been more than two years since it was published.
- In the event that there is a participant in the work, “a painter or co-author” it must be included in the nomination form and attach his data.
- The work submitted must contain international numbering (ISBN, TDMC, ISBN) to ensure property rights.
- The prize is not awarded for work previously won by a major Arab or foreign award.
Applicants can submit their entries in only one category of the competition.