Deadline: March 15, 2021
Applications for the World Habitat Awards 2021 are now open. The World Habitat Awards recognise and highlight innovative, outstanding and sometimes revolutionary housing ideas, projects and programs from across the world. More than 250 outstanding World Habitat Awards projects have been recognised over the years, demonstrating substantial, lasting improvements in living conditions.
The Awards were established in 1985 for the identification and the promotion of good habitat practices. They were initiated in 1987 as World Habitat contribution to the United Nations International Year of Shelter for the Homeless. The concept of identification of good practice was virtually unknown in 1985 and the Awards were supposed to run over three years only. However, the response was so positive that World Habitat decided to keep the competition running. After 30 years, the World Habitat Awards are going from strength to strength.
- The two Gold Award-winning projects receive:
- A trophy (presented at a global event) in recognition of their work to develop and deliver good practice in housing. World Habitat meets travel and accommodation costs for a project representative to attend the awards ceremony;
- Prize money of £10,000; and
- Follow-up support from World Habitat through their exChange program.
- Silver and Bronze Award-winning projects receive a certificate and the opportunity to partner with World Habitat in the promotion of their initiatives.
- Open to all individuals, organisations or governments who have addressed housing challenges.
- Open to projects from around the world that:
- focus on affordable and adequate housing;
- have taken action to address the climate emergency;
- are in progress or have been completed in the last ten years;
- are taking steps to promote diversity, equality and inclusion; and
- have been designed and/ or delivered in close collaboration with the residents/ local community
- Projects at design/ prototype/ planning stage or completed over ten years ago will not be considered.
- Previous entrants can re-submit in subsequent years providing that the project has developed significantly in the intervening time period.
- You can enter projects that were developed and/or implemented by another individual or organisation. However, your entry must include a letter of permission from the original designer/implementer agreeing to its entry and for its publication in the event of it winning an Award.
- Entries may be submitted in English, Spanish or French.
Images, plans and/or supporting documents can be submitted via the online application form or by email to [email protected] If you email documents separately, please include your name, organisation and the name of your project.
All entries must be received by 23:59 GMT on March 15, 2021.
For more information, visit World Habitat Awards.