Deadline: February 3, 2022
Applications are now open for the Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS). YYAS is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process. There is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS.
YYAS 2022 will be an online program held from 20 July to 26 July 2022. Over the seven-day program,participants will utilize various online platforms, including Zoom, to engage in video seminars, lectures, and conversations. Students attending secondary school in ANY African country are eligible to apply. Applicants should be 14-18 years old and in the international equivalent of 11th grade. There is no application fee.
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by application deadline (03 February 2022) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2023. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2022 and no later than November/December 2023.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
The following three (3) components are required of all applicants:
- Completed application form
- Official transcript or grade report(s)
- One (1) teacher recommendation
For more information, visit Yale Young African Scholars.