Deadline: December 14, 2020
Applications to join the British Council New Narratives Youth Advisory Board are now open. New Narratives is a programme which aims to foster deeper and more meaningful people-to-people engagements between young people across the countries of Africa and the UK, through a suite of digital storytelling and collaboration programmes, in sectors of mutual interest.
The programme aims to help contribute to changing reciprocal perceptions between both places in order to stimulate new understanding which will unlock new connections and collaborations for mutual benefit.
The purpose of the Youth Advisory Board is to ensure effective and successful delivery of the New Narratives programme. The board will provide appropriate advice, insight and recommendations on matters relevant to this programme to support and facilitate design and decision-making. The board will consist of young people from the UK, Sub-Saharan Africa, and North Africa, and provides an excellent opportunity for networking, peer-to-peer learning, skills development, etc.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing advice support and challenge to the British Council regarding design of the programme and wider British Council approaches to youth engagement, cultural intelligence and sensitivity;
- Providing insight and intelligence on youth perceptions, interests and needs to ensure the programme remains relevant to and incorporates the voice of the youth;
- Represent New Narratives externally as required
- All members of the advisory board will be remunerated, at a daily rate of £150 per day, up to 20 days a year. Expenses will be paid as pre-agreed.
Open to young people, aged 18-35:
- Who are influential in their communities as artists, activists, academics, entrepreneurs, influencers or technologists, etc.
- Who have significant online and offline networks that can be reached with learning and content from the programme.
- Who are passionate about creating or deepening international connections and collaboration particularly between the continent of Africa and the UK.
- Who have demonstrable experience in leadership and/or advisory roles of programmes or organisations.
- Who are willing to engage long term with the British Council and Africa-UK New Narratives network.
Expectations of the Advisory Board
- The Advisory Board will meet with British Council programme board once per quarter from inception;
- Meetings will take place virtually;
- The board will provide feedback and recommendations after each meeting;
- The board will occasionally be requested to engage in internal meetings and external fora, with prior notice;
- Provide a written report that include recommendations at the end of the year;
- Sit on selection panels for grant awards as part of the programme.
The application deadline is December 14, 2020 at 10pm GMT. Kindly note that ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from the British Council by December 23, 2020, please consider your application unsuccessful.
For more information, visit British Council.