Deadline: September 23, 2020
Calling young innovators and entrepreneurs in Renewable Energy! Apply to speak at the IRENA Innovation Week 2020 taking place on October 8, 2020.
SDG7 Youth Constituency is facilitating selection process for speakers for side event titled “Entrepreneurship and innovation for the green energy agenda”. The event will bring together youth innovators and entrepreneurs in the renewable energy sector, to present their ideas, discuss the challenges for innovation in the energy space and their role in the energy transition.
Event Date: October 8
Time: 08:00-10:30 UTC
Building on the IRENA Innovation Weeks in 2016 and 2018, the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) invites you to save the date for the third IRENA Innovation Week – this time a virtual gathering of leading policy makers, innovators, developers and investors from across IRENA’s diverse global membership, convened to explore how systemic innovative solutions can support the use of renewables in the energy-end-use sectors of transport & industry.
Innovation Week 2020 – what to expect:
- Supported by insights from IRENA’s analysis and work on the ground, informed by the experience of recent projects and drawing on the expertise of a diverse range of speakers and attendees, IRENA Innovation Week 2020 will explore the challenges and the emerging innovations in technology, business models and system operation that can support the decarbonisation of the end-use sectors.
- With renewables now the most cost-effective option for new power generation in much of the world, the significantly increased use of renewable-electricity in the end-use sectors of transport, industry and buildings, is a viable and attractive option. IRENA’s analysis indicates that electricity will need to provide over 40% of final energy demand in end-use sectors by 2050.
- The use of biomass, green hydrogen and synthetic-renewable-fuels can all play an important role in decarbonising key industrial sectors such as the petrochemicals, iron & steel production, as well in transport and as a potential replacement for natural gas use. IRENA’s scenario shows that a five-fold increase of biofuels would be needed by 2050 and over a hundred-fold increase in hydrogen production.
- IRENA Innovation Week 2020 will showcase emerging solutions from around the world and help identify the actions needed to fully unlock renewables potential in the end-use
- 30 years old or below, engaged in SDG7 (sustainable, renewable, and affordable energy sectors) related activities
- Please stick to word limit in the questions where indicated.
The screening would be conducted by a selection committee formed within the SDG7 Youth Constituency. If you would like to join the selection committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit IRENA.