Deadline: March 31, 2021
Applications are open for the ASEAN Social Enterprise Development Programme 2021. This programme will provide social enterprises in ASEAN with access to more significant opportunities to improve their ventures through mentorship, facilitation, trade of knowledge from a network of the region’s social enterprises, financing, and access to market places.
This programme aims for better economic progress in the ASEAN region while also impacting the poverty alleviation, working in line towards achieving SDGs. ASEAN-SEDP is designed to build a greater socio-economic condition of the ASEAN region through social enterprises empowerment. In reference to the values of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC), this programme aims to engendering a culture of social entrepreneurship to youths in ASEAN.
ASEAN SEDP, with the theme of “Social Innovations for the Sustainable ASEAN Community,” supports social enterprises throughout the ASEAN region in their journey to harness innovation and creativity to establish the social impact that would contribute to the sustainable development agenda. This programme provides them with access to mentors, seed grants, and market places they require to scale up and grow their projects.
The ASEAN Foundation, with the support of GIZ and SAP are inviting social enterprises from the ten ASEAN Member States with innovative projects that touch upon on the following issues to apply for the ASEAN SEDP:
- Reducing poverty or improving the livelihood of ASEAN citizens through job creation, employment-related capacity building initiatives, sustainable agricultural practices and/or access to financial resources – SDG 1: No Poverty – Target 1.4.
- Providing access to better health cares for ASEAN citizens, particularly disadvantaged communities – SDG 3: Good Health and Well-Being – Targets 3.1., 3.2., 3.4., or 3.7.
- Providing or improving access to quality education/capacity development programmes for ASEAN citizens, particularly disadvantaged communities (marginalised groups, women, people living in slum or rural areas, people with disability, etc.) – SDG 4: Quality Education – Targets 4.4., 4.5., or 4.7.
- Addressing issues on gender equality in the ASEAN region – SDG 5: Gender Equality – Targets 5.6., 5.a., or 5.b.
- Addressing environmental issues related to irresponsible exploration of the nature – SDG 12: Responsible Consumption and Production – Targets 12.2., 12.4., 12.5., or 12.8.
- Undertaking necessary actions to tackle climate change and its impacts – SDG 13: Climate Action – Targets 13.1. or 13.3.
- Capacity Building
- Network to the marketplaces: The programme will provide access to all selected social enterprises to customers/clients worldwide, including those based in Southeast Asia. Mentors will support providing this access and ensure that all selected social enterprises can initiate sales or connection with prospective customers/clients. The support is provided during a second batch of mentorship
- Opportunities: Updates with the most relevant grants, Events and Prizes to accelerate growth of their project.
- Visibility: Showcase their initiatives and products in a platform of ASEAN Scope.
Social enterprises from ASEAN countries who are implementing projects and creating products solving challenges related to the SDGs mentioned above with the following qualifications are eligible to apply:
- 50% of the Social Enterprises team members are aged between 18 to 35 years old.
- A team must comprise at least 2 members with at least one team member having ASEAN nationality.
- As part of promoting ASEAN identity and encouraging cross-national and cross-border cooperation, it is desirous that a team consists of at least one member having different ASEAN nationality and/or reside in a different ASEAN country.
- All team members must be currently residing in the following ASEAN countries: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- If selected, each team must be fully committed to participating in the full cycle of the programme
- The social enterprise must be in the early stage of the implementation; its project is local and has been in an operation for more than 5 months (preferable); and it has actively been seeking professional support for scale-up and growth and/or funding.
- Some team members must have good English as the programme will be in English.
All interested social enterprises are required to apply to the programme by completing the application form by March 31, 2021. Applications submitted to other channels will not be considered. Incomplete completion of the form will not be further processed for shortlisting.
For more information, visit ASEAN SEDP.