Application Deadline: 21 February 2021:
Nominations are open for young leaders to apply to stand for positions on the Commonwealth Youth Council, the body which represents the Commonwealth’s 1.4 billion young people.
The council, one of the world’s most diverse youth-led bodies, is seeking candidates for its nine executive positions to serve from 2021 to 2023.
The elected candidates will run and develop the council, organise workshops and advisory panels, give recommendations for youth development, and attend high-level, policy-shaping forums across the world.
After nominations and clearance, shortlisted candidates will campaign online from 29 March 2021 to 5 May 2021. The elections will take place online on 7 and 8 May 2021, while the results will be out on 10 May 2021.
Set up in 2013, the Commonwealth Youth Council aims to advance the youth development agenda across the 54 member countries and boost young people’s participation at all levels of decision-making.
How to apply
The call for nominations was first announced last year, however, the entire process was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic. All interested candidates, including those who applied last year, must resubmit their nominations.
Commonwealth citizens, aged 15-27, can apply for the following positions from 15 January 2021 until 21 February 2021:
- Chairperson (open only to applicants from the Pacific region, as per the rotation policy)
- Vice-Chairperson – Inclusion and Engagement
- Vice-Chairperson – Partnerships and Resources
- Vice-Chairperson – Policy and Advocacy
- Regional Representative – Africa and Europe
- Regional Representative – Asia Regional
- Representative – Caribbean and Americas
- Regional Representative – Pacific
- Representative Special Interest Groups (any region)
Candidates must have at least three years of experience working with a national youth council or a youth-led organisation.