Deadline: August 15, 2020
Nominations are invited for the ICIMOD Mountain Prize 2020. The Prize will be awarded to an individual or organization in recognition of their significant efforts to advance the mountain cause in the Hindu Kush Himalayan (HKH) region through innovations in their different capacities.
The ICIMOD Mountain Prize will be awarded to an individual, organization, or private sector entity based in the HKH region or beyond, which has demonstrated outstanding efforts enabling sustainable and resilient mountain development in the HKH region to benefit the environment as well as communities—particularly the poor, the youth, and women. While they would like to particularly acknowledge the efforts of individuals and organizations that have worked in line with ICIMOD’s mandate, this is not a pre-condition for the award.
- The prize is currently set at USD $2,500.
- Any individual, organization or private sector entity that has done outstanding work in the field of sustainable and resilient mountain development in the HKH is eligible for the prize and can be nominated.
- The nominee must have made a demonstrable impact in sustainable mountain development. While they would like to particularly acknowledge the efforts of individuals or entities that have worked in line with ICIMOD’s mandate, this is not a pre-condition for the award.
- Please note: Application is also open to storytellers, photographers, filmmakers and artists.
Who can nominate?
- Any individual can nominate any organization or a private sector entity or another individual that meets the eligibility criteria outlined above, including his/her own organization or company, for the prize.
- They expect the said individual to be very familiar with the work of the organization or company or individual he/she is nominating.
- The nominator should nominate only after receiving the consent of the nominee (head of the entity in case of an organization or company).
- Self-nomination (nominating one-self for the prize) is not permitted and the nominator may nominate only once.
A commission for the ICIMOD Mountain Prize will judge the submitted nominations and may invite appraisals by external experts to decide on the winner of the Prize. They may contact the nominator, nominee and referee(s) for more information.
The commission will pick the winner of the prize and Honorable Mentions based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrable impact
- Degree of importance given to gender equity and social inclusion
- Scalability/sustainability in the mountain context
Substantial weight is given to work that addresses complex or wicked problem(s) in an innovative/ingenious manner.
Anybody wishing to nominate an eligible individual or organization or company for the prize must submit his or her nomination through the online form. The nominator must provide accurate information on his/her nominee’s work and the impact it has brought about.
In particular, the nominator must:
- provide personal information on the nominee such as full name and contact address;
- specify in which work area(s) the nominee has made demonstrable impact;
- provide an overview of the nominee’s outstanding work;
- provide a credible narrative on how the nominee’s outstanding work has contributed to sustainable and resilient mountain development or/and brought about transformative change on the ground;
- provide an argumentation for why the nominee deserves to win the prize;
- provide supporting documents, including links to online articles, or videos, or publications that provide evidence of the nominee’s work and impact;
- provide contact information of two referees who also know the nominee well.
- statement vouching for the accuracy of the information provided through the nomination form.
For more information, visit ICIMOD Mountain Prize.