Deadline: February 15, 2021
Nominations are open for the Shorenstein Journalism Award 2021. The Shorenstein Journalism Award recognizes outstanding journalists who have spent their careers helping audiences around the world understand the complexities of the Asia-Pacific region, defined broadly to include Northeast, Southeast, South, and Central Asia and Australasia.
The award is sponsored and presented by the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center (Shorenstein APARC) at Stanford University. It honors the legacy of the Center’s benefactor, Mr. Walter H. Shorenstein, and his twin passions for promoting excellence in journalism and understanding of Asia. It also symbolizes the Center’s commitment to journalism that persistently and courageously seeks accuracy, deep reporting, and nuanced coverage in an age when attacks are regularly launched on the independent news media, on fact-based truth, and on those who tell it.
- The award carries a cash prize of US $10,000.
- Nominees must be journalists with an outstanding track record of covering the complexities of the Asia-Pacific region.
- The award alternates between recipients whose work has mostly been published in Asian news media and those whose work has mostly been conveyed through American news media. The 2021 award will recognize a recipient from the former category.
- Both individual journalists and journalism organizations are eligible for the award.
- A nominee’s body of work may cover any Asia-Pacific region. For the award, the Asia-Pacific region is defined broadly to include Northeast, Southeast, South, and Central Asia and Australasia.
- A nominee’s body of work may be in traditional forms of print or broadcast journalism and/or in new forms of multimedia journalism. The work under consideration must be in English and come from print and/or audiovisual outlets that publish regularly and adhere to the highest journalistic principles.
- Self-nominations are NOT accepted.
Nominations for the 2021 Shorenstein Journalism Award are now open through February 15, 2021, at 11:59 PM PST.
For more information, visit Shorenstein Journalism Award.