Due Date: June 1, 2019
Non-Governmental Organizations are welcomed to request consultative status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), in order to have a chance to participate in UN considerations. ECOSOC consultative status is governed by ECOSOC resolution 1996/31, which describes the eligibility requirements for consultative status, rights and commitments of NGOs in consultative status, treatments for the withdrawal or suspension of consultative status, the function and functions of the ECOSOC Committee on NGOs, and the duties of the UN Secretariat in supporting the consultative relationship.
Consultative status is given by ECOSOC upon suggestion of the ECOSOC Committee on NGOs, which is made up by Member States.
NGOs that are recognized with ECOSOC can take part in a variety of occasions, consisting of, however not restricted to routine sessions of ECOSOC, its practical commissions and its other subsidiary bodies. NGOs might:
- Participate in main conferences;-LRB- **************).
- Submit composed declarations prior to sessions;-LRB- **************).
- Make oral declarations;-LRB- **************).
- Meet main federal government delegations and other NGO agents;-LRB- **************).
- Arrange and participate in parallel occasions that occur throughout the session;-LRB- **************).
- Take part in disputes, interactive discussions, panel conversations and casual conferences.
Organizations developed by federal governments or intergovernmental contracts are ruled out NGOs.
Consultative relationships might be developed with global, local, sub local and nationwide non-governmental, non-profit public or voluntary companies. NGOs connected to a global company currently in status might be confessed offered that they can show that their program of work has direct significance to the goals and functions of the United Nations.
To be qualified for consultative status:
- an NGO need to have remained in presence (formally signed up with the proper federal government authorities as an NGO/non-profit) for a minimum of 2 years
- needs to have a recognized head office, a democratically embraced constitution, authority to promote its members, a representative structure, proper systems of responsibility and democratic and transparent decision-making procedures.
- The standard resources of the company need to be obtained in the primary part from contributions of the nationwide affiliates or other elements or from specific members.
Webinar on getting ECOSOC consultative status click on this link
To learn more, see ECOSOC Consultative status