Deadline: June 30, 2020
Applications are open for the CASW’s Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award 2020 for Young Science Journalists. The award is intended to encourage young science writers by recognizing outstanding reporting and writing in any field of science.
Now in its 31st year, CASW’s Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award was created to recognize the contributions to journalism of both Ev Clark and Seth Payne. The award is given in memory of Ev Clark, a veteran journalist at Business Week, The New York Times and Newsweek, and Seth Payne, his long-time friend and colleague at Business Week and a founder of the award. It is designed to carry on the work of both men, who offered friendship and advice to generations of young journalists.
- The 2020 winner will receive $1,000 and expenses to attend ScienceWriters2020 in Colorado.
- The award is limited to non-technical, print and online journalism. Articles published in newspapers (including college newspapers), magazines, newsletters and websites are eligible.
- Both freelancers and staff writers are eligible. (Books, as well as articles in technical journals and trade association publications are not eligible).
- Science writing includes, but is not limited to, writing in the biological, physical, environmental, computer, and space sciences, along with technology, mathematics, health and science policy.
- Applicants must be age 30 or younger. The 2020 award will be limited to those applicants whose 31st birthday is July 1, 2020 or later.
- Applicants may submit a single article or series, or up to four individual pieces.
- Articles must be published between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020, but an entire series will be accepted if most parts are published between those dates.
- Applications may be submitted by the author or on the author’s behalf.
- All entries must be submitted in English.
Entries will be judged on the basis of
- Resourcefulness and
Applications may be submitted online through the CASW fellowships and awards site. All entries and submissions for the 2020 award must be received by June 30, 2020.
For more information, visit Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award.