Due Date: January 1, 2019.
Crick African Network’s African Profession Accelerator (CAN ACA) awards is open for applications. The CAN ACA awards will offer Fellowship assistance for African Post-Doctoral scientists (or non-African people with irreversible residency status) who are intending to make the shift to ending up being an independent scientist and releasing their own research study group. The CAN ACA awards will buy early-career scientists who have actually shown strong clinical and management capacity, along with a dedication to continuing their research study on the African continent.
Fellowships are for a period of as much as 2 years, and might consist of individual salary/stipend, visa expenses and research study costs to execute the research study. The Fellowships will be carried out in not less than 2 areas: The Francis Crick Institute (‘ the Crick’, UK) and at one of the 5 African partner organizations: The University of Ghana (Ghana), Stellenbosch University (South Africa), University of Cape Town (South Africa), MRC System The Gambia at LSHTM (The Gambia) and MRC/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Study System.
Fellows will invest a minimum of 6 months in each place, although this can be built up in more than one see. The rest of the fellowship might be invested at the Crick, the African partner organization, or a 3rd organization located in Africa.
Fellows will be supported by 2 supervisors/advisors: one each from the Crick and the picked African partner organization, along with having the choice of assistance from among the 14 Crick Science Innovation Platforms( STP) which concentrate on particular methods and innovations.
In addition to carrying out the proposed research study program, Fellows will take part in innovative training which will offer the abilities and proficiencies to make the shift to ending up being an independent research study leader on the African continent. To facilitate this, Fellows will be supported to send a research study grant proposition to significant worldwide funders in order to have the ability to continue their work after completion of the Fellowship.
Research Study Locations
The scope of the research study styles which can be carried out as part of this Award can be specified as a biomedical research study of transmittable illness of hardship, with a focus on Tuberculosis, Malaria and HIV/AIDS, however likewise reaching ignored tropical illness or non-communicable illness with an infection part.
Medical research study is possible, however will need to be talked about particularly with possible managers/ consultants and organizations to validate whether resources are offered to support the research study. It will not generally be possible to perform medical research study whilst in the UK.
Epidemiological or social science research study on the above styles are thought about out of scope.
- It is anticipated that around 6 fellowships will be granted in this round, each with a worth of as much as ₤145,000
- Arrangement has actually been made to cover expenses of travel for both moving and conferences, along with research study associated expenses for consumables.
- Each fellowship likewise consists of the choice of the purchase of devices, with a single product as much as a worth of ₤10,000, and an overall budget plan of ₤20,000
- Candidates need to be a person or have irreversible residency status of among the 55 African countries, as specified by the African Union.
- Applicants will likewise have a PhD and run out than 6 years’ post-doctoral research study experience (with allowances for genuine profession breaks) however more than 2 years’ post-doctoral experience unless the candidate has an impressive track-record, supported by publication and work history.
Competitive candidates will have a strong performance history of research study. They will have a PhD, and have actually advanced to a postdoctoral function through which they are on a verifiable course to self-reliance. Prior experience of getting grant financing is preferable however not needed.
Neither is it vital to presently be utilized on the African continent, however applications need to show the candidate’s desire to develop themselves as an independent scientist on the African continent.
- The Expression of Interest Kind is a compulsory phase
- Due Date for Expression of Interest is 1 January 2019
- Due date for complete applications is 1 February 2019, 16: 00 GMT
To use, candidates need to initially send a compulsory Expression of Interest kind, and check out the Assistance Notes for Expression of Interest kind.
To find out more, see Crick African Network