Deadline: February 15, 2021
Applications are open for the Cyber-Defense (CYD) Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021. To promote research and education in cyber-defence, the EPFL and the Cyber-Defence (CYD) Campus have jointly launched the “CYD Fellowships – A Talent Program for Cyber-Defence Research.”
The CYD Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to researchers at postdoctoral level who are willing to engage with cross-cutting issues in cyber-defence, with a particular emphasis on:
- Novel technologies for protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of cyber and cyber-physical systems;
- Privacy-enhancing technologies;
- Data science and artificial intelligence methods for analysing cyber- and technology-relevant data;
- Research on vulnerabilities and backdoors in digital systems.
Eligible costs include and are limited to:
- Salary contribution (including social security benefits) based on the salary scale associated with the applicant’s position in the host institution.
- Research costs: a maximum amount of CHF 3,000 per year can be granted for research costs.
- Conference costs: a maximum amount of CHF 6,000 per year can be granted for conference costs.
- Citizens of any nationality may apply for the CYD Postdoctoral fellowships.
- No age restrictions apply.
- Applicants must have the endorsement of a professor employed at a Swiss higher education institution willing to supervise them when they submit their Stage 2 application (see Selection process).
- Applicants are only eligible to apply if they will conduct their postdoctoral research funded by a Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship in a different laboratory from the one of their doctoral and (if applicable) of their current postdoctoral research.
The selection process includes two stages.
- In Stage 1 the submitted applications will be evaluated by a CYD Campus internal committee chaired by the Director of the CYD Campus, based on the following criteria: the fit of the candidate with the CYD Campus and the fit of the candidate’s pre-proposal with the aims of the program. Shortlisted applicants will be assigned a prospective CYD Campus mentor. This prospective mentor will interview the applicant to determine if he or she is willing to endorse the applicant for Stage 2. Only those applicants who are endorsed by their prospective CYD Campus mentor will be able to proceed to Stage 2.
- In Stage 2, short-listed applicants will be required to submit a full research proposal before the submission deadline of March 31, 2021 (17:00 CET). Final decisions will be made by a committee chaired by the Director of the CYD Campus and composed of 3-5 members representing the CYD Campus and Swiss higher education institutions. They will be announced by April 30, 2021.
All required documents must be submitted on the online submission platform. All documents must be submitted in English. The submission deadline for Stage 1 is February 15, 2021 (17:00 CET).
For more information, visit CYD Fellowship.