Application Deadline: 11 October 2021
The DAAD along side the University of Oldenburg (Germany) are jointly organising the DIES (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies) University Leadership and Management Training Programme (UNILEAD) in Oldenburg, enabling young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries to successfully tackle every-day challenges.
UNILEAD (University Leadership and Management Training Course) is an English-language further education program for University Leaders from Southeast Asia, East and South Africa, Central and South America and the Middle East. The aim of UNILEAD is to support the participants in the development, conception and implementation of innovative projects in the field of personnel and organizational development.
Programme Contents and Methodology:
UNILEAD focuses on three key areas:
1. Project Management. This includes courses on Methodology of Project Management and Financial Management in projects.
2. Strategic Management & Academic Leadership. This includes courses of theoretical basics and practical tools for the development and implementation of Strategic Management and acquisition of competences in the area of Leadership.
3. Human Resource Management. This includes courses on Instruments of Human Resource Development, Conflict Management and Communication.
In order to complement these three modules, additional topics, such as Risk Management, Team and Key Competences, and Acting with Confidence, are touched upon. In addition, a web-seminar on the topic of “Digital Transformation in Higher Education” is integrated into the curriculum.
The core of the entire programme is an individual and practice-oriented change project that participants are required to propose in their application.
- 30-40 year-old junior leaders from universities who are active in the management of universities (e.g. program management,
quality management, human resources, advanced training, etc.)
- Applicants should have a Masters Degree
- A maximum of 4 years of professional experience in university management
- Very good English language skills (oral and written) are essential
- International experience is an advantage.
During the contact phases the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg.
Following expenses will be covered:
Course costs for participation in UNILEAD.
Travel costs: Flights to and from Germany (Economy class) and ground travel to and from Oldenburg (2. Class train). We kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangements – they will thenbe reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.*
Accommodation (including breakfast) and some joint meals at the two contact phases in Germany.*
Emergency health insurance during the contact phases.*
Expected co-funding: Participants’ home institutions are expected to contribute to the course costs by
paying a one-time fee of 300,00 €.
In addition, local transportation in the participants’ home countries and visa costs for the stay in Germany
have to be covered by the participants and/or their home institution.
Application Requirements and Process
Applications can be submitted via the online application form on the UNILEAD-website at
Strict closing date of the application is October 11, 2021, 10.00 am Central European Summer Time.
Following information and documents are requirements for an application:
- Application Form including a clear practice-oriented Project Proposal – using the online-form
provided on the website.
- Letter of Motivation including date and signature – uploaded to online-application form as pdf-file.
- Letter of Recommendation from university top management (President/Rector or Vice-
Chancellor/Vice-Rector of the university) including date and signature. The letter should describe
and emphazise the managerial qualifications and leadership competencies, the future potential of
the candidate – uploaded to online-application form as pdf-file.
- Proof of excellent English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate) will be an asset (pdf-file).
The Selection Committee composed of high profile higher education management experts meets in
The selection criteria are based on the following points:
Personal profile match
Institutional profile match
Description of reform project in concordance with the strategy of the university
Influence and impact of the project on the university’s strategy
Recommendation of university’s top management
For More Information: