For 3 weeks throughout the summertime, fellows take part in scholastic workshops that expose them to the theory and practice of democracy, advancement, and the guideline of law. Provided by leading Stanford professors from the Stanford Law School, the Graduate School of Company, and the departments of economics and government, these workshops enable emerging leaders to check out brand-new institutional designs and structures to boost their capability to promote democratic modification in their house nations.
Visitor speakers from personal structures, believe tanks, federal government, and the justice system supply a specialists perspective on such pushing problems in the field. Summertime Fellows likewise go to Silicon Valley innovation companies such as Benetech, Google and Twitter to check out how innovation tools and social networks platforms are being utilized to catalyze democratic practices on an international scale.
The program is moneyed by the generous assistance from Costs and Phyllis Draper and Ingrid von Mangoldt Hills.
- This program is targeted at mid-career specialists working actively in the fields of democracy, advancement, and the guideline of law.
- Applicants can be working as policy-makers, academics, lawyers, social business owners, organisation entrepreneurs, and leaders of civil society companies (such as agents of trade unions, nongovernmental companies, the media, organisation and expert associations).
- In their present capability, candidates ought to play essential and prominent functions in their nation’s political, financial, and social advancement. Individuals ought to have shown expert and individual accomplishments in a pertinent sector of democracy, advancement, and the guideline of law.
- Each year we aim to hire a varied group of 25 to 30 people who are at the ideal phase in their expert trajectory to gain from strenuous scholastic training to boost their prospective to promote democratic modification in their house nations
- Effective candidates will have scholastic qualifications needed to take part and add to the six-hour workshops every day and deal with innovative scholastic readings to match the classroom-based curriculum. Ninety-nine percent of our alumni hold a bachelor’s degree at the time of their involvement in the program however this is not a requirement for admission to the program.
- A working understanding of English is a crucial requirement for involvement in the program. It is anticipated that each fellow has a strong command of composed and spoken English to completely benefit and take part in the program.
Due to the big volume of applications we get each year to the fellowship program, we take our choice requirements really seriously. Please examine the requirements listed below really thoroughly prior to sending your application to the program. If you do not fulfill these requirements your application will not be examined.
- This is not a scholastic fellowship however implied for specialists just We value useful experience over scholastic qualifications, and we confess scholars just to the degree that they are active in federal government, public law, civil society, financial advancement and guideline of law. They ought to hold management functions in their particular sector.
- Candidates should be mid-career specialists and have at least 10 to 12 years of experience to get approved for the fellowship. Those with more experience are a lot more competitive in the choice procedure.
- Prospects should be from and presently live in a nation where democracy is not well entrenched. Prospects living outside their house nation due to war or dispute might be approved exceptions. Candidates will not be accepted from nations such as: the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, and member states of the European Union.
- Prospects should be at least 28 years of age at the start of the fellowship in July2018 The typical age of our fellows at the time of the program is 38.
- Prospects should be actively operating in the field of democracy, advancement, and the guideline of law. We do decline prospects who remain in the middle of full-time university degree programs.
- Prospects should have a strong command of composed and spoken English All program products and sessions remain in English. Individuals will likewise be needed to provide 7-minute TED-style talks throughout the three-week program concerning their work and inspiration. English language efficiency is really essential in order to benefit and add to the program discussion.