Application Deadline: Ongoing
Are you looking for a scholarship to help you recruit a foreign student to do doctoral research? The EDUFI Fellowship is intended, particularly, for providing initial funding to carry out research for a doctoral thesis in Finland.
Applicant: a Finnish university department
Who: a doctoral student or a young researcher from outside Finland
Purpose: initial funding for completing a doctoral research project in Finland, completion of a double degree or a study visit on exceptionally compelling reasons
Application deadline: rolling deadline. You should apply for the grant five months before the start of the fellowship.
Duration of fellowship: 3–12 months, visits 3–6 months
Size of grant: 1,500 euros/month (2019)
You can apply for the fellowship grant if
- you work as a researcher or a teacher in a Finnish university department
- you will be hosting the research fellow
- you will commit to common objectives with the research fellow
- you will offer facilities and equipment for the use of the research fellow
- you will supervise the research.
You can apply for a fellowship for a non-Finnish post-graduate (post Master’s degree) student or a young researcher that you will invite to Finland or who has been in Finland for a maximum of one year before applying for the fellowship.
The EDUFI Fellowship is available to all foreign nationals and all fields of study.
- for starting work on a doctoral research project if the whole doctoral thesis will be completed in a Finnish university. You cannot apply for the grant at the end of a research project or for post-doctoral research.
- for completing a double degree in Finland.
- for a study visit for post-graduate students working on a doctoral thesis in a university outside Finland, if there are particularly compelling reasons for the cooperation.
The fellow must work in Finland but is allowed to make conference visits abroad.
If the fellowship period is longer than six months, it can include short visits abroad to gather research material, if needed, in addition to conference trips. These visits in total cannot exceed one month.
If more time will be needed for gathering material during the EDUFI Fellowship, the fellowship grant can be applied only for those periods during which the fellow will be working in Finland.
The fellows cannot apply for the EDUFI Fellowship themselves, because the grant will be awarded only to a Finnish university department.
The university will first pay the grant to the fellow as a personal grant and will then invoice it to EDUFI after the end of the fellowship.
The grant can be split over several periods.
The grant is intended to cover the living costs of the fellow in Finland. We will not pay separate accommodation costs or contribute to travel, visa, residence permit or insurance costs.
You can apply for the fellowship grant at any time. Please send the application to us at least five months before the planned start of the fellowship.
The application process will take about three months. Usually about 35-40% of applications are approved every year. Decisions will be sent to the applicant university department.
Fellows will need the following documents for their visa/residence permit application
- a copy of the EDUFI fellowship decision
- an invitation from the host university department
You can fill in the EDUFI Fellowship application form in Finnish, Swedish or English. The application form comes with instructions on how to fill it and a list of required annexes. Please post the signed form and annexes by e-mail to: Kirjaamo(at)oph.fi , and write “EDUFI Fellowship” in the subject line of the e-mail.
For More Information: