Deadline: February 8, 2021
Applications are open for the Genomics Summer Research for Minorities (GSRM) Internship 2021. The GSRM internship provides a ten-week summer research program for undergraduate students interested in in biosciences or bioinformatics with a focus on genomics research, including ethical, legal and social implications (ELSI) of genomics research.
The GSRM is funded by an NIH Research Education Program (R25) and supported by the University of Utah Department of Pediatrics. The paid internship provides students with placement in world-class genomics research groups, tailored mentorship, professional development workshops and access to state-of-the-art equipment and technology. Interns have the opportunity to interact with a thriving community of scientists, physicians and mentors that recognize the need to promote diversity in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) workforce.
- Each GSRM position is considered employment. Completion of work hours and assignments are required to receive up to $5,500 for the summer.
- Housing on the University of Utah campus will be provided.
- Non-local participants will receive travel support.
- Attend a national conference.
- Clinical shadowing opportunities.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and a member of an historically excluded or minoritized group (as defined by the National Institutes of Health).
- They particularly encourage the participation of women, individuals from racial and ethnic groups that have been shown to be underrepresented in health-related sciences, individuals differently abled and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Applicants must have completed their sophomore year before joining the GSRM program.
Application materials must be submitted online no later than Monday February 8, 2021 at 11:59pm MST. Completed applications will be reviewed by a selection committee and potential candidates will be contacted for a phone interview starting in March 2021. All applicants will be informed via email, in April 2021, of the selection committee’s decision.
For more information, visit GSRM Internship.