Application Deadline: May 15th 2020
For over 15 years, the Getty Images editorial grants program has supported independent photographers in telling in-depth stories of personal and journalistic importance. The grant recipients have come from dozens of different countries, producing ambitious photoessays from even more. This year, the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent travel restrictions have presented many such photographers with immense obstacles to where and how they work. But, as disruptive as it has been, it also presents the opportunity for photojournalists to show the wide-ranging impact of the pandemic on their own communities.
That is why we’re restructuring this year’s Reportage Grants to offer eight awards of $5,000 each to photographers reporting stories related to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will give particular consideration to those working in their own cities or immediate regions. While many cities and countries are at different stages in the trajectory of the pandemic, its effects will be long-lasting most everywhere. Beyond the public health emergency, it is a story of economic and social dislocation, and potentially one of scientific and technological innovation. Smart photojournalism has the potential to illuminate our understanding of these issues in the months and years ahead.
Smart photojournalism is also carried out safely, and we ask applicants to consider their health and that of their communities when conducting their work. Please also abide by local and national laws governing how journalists work and travel amid quarantine restrictions.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and presently engaged as a professional
- A professional photojournalist, for the purposes of the Getty Images Grants for
Editorial Photography, is one who derives the majority of his or her income from documenting
issues and events through still photography.
- Applicants may apply as individuals or teams.
- Eight grants will be awarded by independent judges, each selected by Getty
Images for his or her photography expertise and industry experience.
- Selection will be based on judges’ determination of applicant’s ability to execute the submitted project with compelling visual narrative in documentary feature format, taking into account the caliber of portfolio,project merit and professional ability.
- Each Getty Images Grant for Editorial Photography consists of $5,000 USD.
- Each grant recipient will receive the full $5,000 following the public announcement of grant-winners.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the Getty Images Reportage Grant 2020