Deadline: August 12, 2018
Applications are open for the Global Health Journalism Fellowship 2018. Outstanding young journalists are invited to participate in the first ever international conference on Medicine Quality and Public Health at the University of Oxford, from September 23-28, 2018.
The proliferation of poor quality medical products (medicines, vaccines and devices) is an important but neglected public health problem, threatening millions of lives in developing and developed countries. Accurate journalistic reporting is essential to ensure that the public are aware of the dangers of falsified and substandard medicines but are not discouraged from taking appropriate medicines and seeking medical advice.
This conference will bring together over 200 stakeholders from academia, NGOs, private sector organisations and policy-makers to discuss the opportunities to strengthen international collaboration in medicine quality and how to provide more high quality evidence. It will provide a unique opportunity for talented journalists to network with international experts and forge stronger connections between scientists, policy-makers and journalists.
- Selected journalists will receive a bespoke briefing from communications experts and world-leading scientists at the University of Oxford
- The Conference provides a unique opportunity for networking with global health experts and other journalists interested in medicine quality and related issues
- Support for interview requests and access to speakers will be provided
- A certificate of participation will be provided after the Conference
- The fellowship will cover the costs for
- Return flights from the country of residency to the UK
- A standard visitor visa for travel to the UK
- Registration for 5 days at the Medicine Quality and Public Health conference
- 5 days accommodation and meals at the conference venue
- Applicants should be early career journalists with a maximum of 5 years of experience
- Be a national of a low- or middle-income country
- Be able to demonstrate your interest in global health issues
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to balanced, accurate reporting through your submitted piece
- Be available to attend the Conference between September 23-28, 2018 in Oxford, UK
The following materials are required for a complete application:
- Submission of 1 published piece of work with a focus on medicine quality issues or global health in any format (print, digital, audio or video), published since January 1, 2016. The article should be in English but translations will be accepted if the original article is also attached.
- An up-to-date CV
- A completed application form
- A copy of your current passport photo page
Please submit your application (publication, CV, application form and current passport) to [email protected] with the title Global Health Journalism Fellowship application.
For more information, visit Global Health Journalism Fellowship.