Deadline: September 15, 2021
Apply to become a member of the Global Young Academy. Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
The Global Young Academy gives a voice to young scientists around the world. To realise their vision, they develop, connect, and mobilise young talent from six continents. Moreover, they empower young researchers to lead international, interdisciplinary, and inter-generational dialogue with the goal to make global decision making evidence-based and inclusive.
- Open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programs around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from PhD and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
- Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programs, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador program. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 13 June – 17 June 2022 in Japan.
This form asks for basic biographical information and includes several short essay questions. The online application form as well as the support documents need to be written in English. The following documents must be uploaded with your online application, as PDF documents:
Maximum length of 4 pages. The Selection Committee members are instructed to ignore any material over the 4-page limit. Your CV should contain a brief education and employment history and make your achievements clear to a general audience. For example, a few words summarising your most significant publications are more useful than a complete list of every paper that you have authored.
- Letter(s) of support
Arrange for the submission of at least one letter of support for your application. Your referee(s) should be familiar with your research career and able to comment on your standing as one of your country’s leading academics. If possible, one letter should come from your national academy or equivalent body. If this is not possible, or you wish to supply additional letters of recommendation, these should come from your employer, research institution, or other professional person familiar with your work. Personal or character references are not required. Letters should be written personally by your referee(s) in their own words.
Please supply the document “Instructions for Referees” to your referees.
- Data Protection / Declaration / signature of applicant
Download document here.
For more information, visit Global Young Academy.