Deadline: September 15, 2020
The Global Young Academy 2021 Membership Call is now open. Applications are invited from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Founded in 2010, the Global Young Academy (GYA) is an organisation of 200 diverse researchers across disciplines who are selected for five-year terms based on their scientific excellence and their commitment to using their research to make the world a better place. It presently has members and alumni from 86 countries, who are passionate about the role of science in creating a better world. We strive for the highest quality and impact in our activities.
The GYA is a global organization that places a high value on its diversity. They encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
- Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador programme.
- The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part.
- In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 16 – 21 May 2021 in Japan.
- Make an impact in the world and engage, outside the walls of the lab, academia or industry.
- Be continuously inspired.
- Interact with and learn from people from different cultures, disciplines, and backgrounds.
- Improve the conditions and opportunities of young researchers and make your voice heard.
- Join a global network and to represent the voice of young researchers to influential global bodies.
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from PhD and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and must be accompanied by a letter of support. Completing the application takes about 30 minutes, the form can be saved at any time and processed later. So that you can prepare well, you can find here essay questions in advance as a download.
Applicants are also encouraged to contact the GYA members/alumni who are from their country/region for further information on the GYA activities, working groups and any other questions which can help with application process.
The application must be submitted before 15 September 2020, 10 pm UTC.
For more information, visit Global Young Academy.