Deadline: September 21, 2022
Applications are open for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2022/2023. The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the Canada’s economic, social, and research-based growth.
Seventy (70) fellowships are awarded annually. A total of up to 140 awards are active at any time. Fellowships are distributed equally among the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- Attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally.
- Develop their leadership potential.
- Position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow.
- The fellowship is are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year. There are no additional funds provided for travel/research.
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Applicants to the 2022-23 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- between September 15, 2019 and September 30, 2023 (inclusively), and
- before the start date of their award.
- Applicants who have not fulfilled all requirements for their degree at the time of application must submit proof no later than October 15, 2023.
- For applicants who have completed more than one PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, the eligibility window applies to the most recent of these degrees.
- An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
- Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application between April and September, 2022 (institutions may have internal deadlines).
Click here for application guidelines
For more information, visit Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.