Service Knowing is an effort of the Greek America Structure that intends to engage North American university student and young experts in volunteer programs in Greece. Their program satisfies a double function: trainees are immersed in modern Greek life while they concurrently offer their time for crucial humanitarian causes and make a long lasting effect. The inaugural program happened throughout the summertime of 2017 in Athens, Greece.
Their 2019 program follows the design we started in 2017: a month-long experience offering with refugee kids in a structured environment and in collaboration with a highly regarded Greek non-profit company. Their objective in 2019 is to support refugee kids on the island of Chios through leisure and academic activities throughout the month of July. 16 scholarships will be used to youths to take part in this program; scholarships cover accommodations, program costs consisting of expeditions, transport within Chios and partial meals. See listed below for the complete program information.
Partners & Area
In 2019 their partners are Metadrasi: METAdrasi– Action for Migration and Advancement is a Greek NGO established in 2010 that assists help with the reception and combination of refugees and immigrants in Greece. It is concentrated on services not covered by the Public Authorities or other NGOs in Greece. METAdrasi runs primarily in the following 2 sectors: analysis services and the security of unaccompanied kids. Learn More about the crucial work of METADrasi by click on this link.
Their volunteer group will be operating at the METAdrasi centers on the island of Chios. In Chios, METAdrasi runs non-formal academic activities for kids inside the refugee camps and those residing in METAdrasi shelters. The Greek America Structure group will help the METAdrasi instructors, caretakers and psychologists in arranging leisure and academic activities for the refugee kids under METAdrasi’s care.
Chios is the fifth-largest Greek island and lies near to the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea. With a population of around 50,000 individuals, Chios is understood for its distinct farming items, particularly those made from mastic gum. There are around 2,000 refugees presently living in Chios.
Program Dates & Description
- The 2019 Service Knowing Program will start on Chios island on July 1, 2019, with a casual arrival and registration, and sign in at the hotel. Program individuals MUST be on Chios island on J uly 1, 2019, without exception. The program will conclude on July 31, 2019 Individuals ought to prepare to leave Chios on July 31, 2019
- Their program will start with an orientation on July 2 Individuals will learn more about the present state of the refugee crisis in Greece; the detention, asylum and combination conditions for refugees in Greece and Europe; the everyday truth of refugees in Greece; the specific requirements of refugee kids; and finest practices for dealing with refugee kids. Throughout the program, we will likewise learn more about the history of Chios.
- Volunteers will work carefully with METAdrasi personnel and under their guidance. Their volunteer areas will be METAdrasi’s academic, leisure and unaccompanied small shelter centers in Chios town along with public leisure and cultural centers (beaches, parks, sports fields, museums, and cultural websites). They will likewise make numerous monitored check outs to the VIAL refugee camp.
- Generally, volunteers will work weekdays for 4-6 hours each day with the kids and the METAdrasi personnel. Their volunteers will offer education, enrichment, and relationship through arts, cultural, leisure and skills-based activities. Volunteers might likewise be asked to support the METAdrasi group with fundamental administrative and upkeep tasks such as meal preparation and preparation, cleansing and beautification of typical areas and regular childcare requirements.
- They have actually prepared weekend expeditions to the beaches, towns, museums, and websites of Chios, along with a trip to Smyrna in Turkey, where individuals will have the chance to experience and discover the abundant history of this city.
- Their group will be led by a skilled group from the Greek America Structure (see listed below for program leader bio). There will be group activities such as meals, weekly and day-to-day group conferences, and celebrations.
- College credit for involvement is readily available for an additional charge and is approved thanks to our collaboration with the Hellenic American University (see listed below).
- They look for volunteers ages 18-25 Volunteers do not require to be presently registered in college, nor in ownership of a college degree.
- Airline Tickets to Chios from the U.S. or Canada is not consisted of. Individuals will be asked to cover their own transport to Chios. Their personnel can assist with global and domestic travel plans, along with domestic air or ferryboat information.
- Accommodations in Chios is supplied from July 1, 2019(check-in) to July 31, 2019(have a look at) in shared spaces at the Chios City Inn This little, family-run inn is actions far from METAdrasi’s centers and all the facilities of Chios town. Spaces consist of day-to-day breakfast and some spaces will have little kitchen spaces. Laundry centers will be readily available on website at an extra expense.
- Breakfast is consisted of daily, as are numerous shared meals throughout the program. Individuals ought to budget plan about 80 Euros weekly for additional meals. Chios City Inn has an associated dining establishment where their program individuals will get an affordable rate on meals.
- Transport on the island of Chios to and from volunteer areas is consisted of. Transport will be attended to non-walkable volunteer areas and expeditions.
- All expeditions on weekends and other unique activities in Chios and Smyrna are consisted of.
- The Greek America Structure will buy travel medical insurance coverage to cover emergency situation and regular medical requirements just for the dates of the service knowing. Please ensure to hold your own medical insurance policy too and examine whether protection is readily available abroad.
- On-site personnel will be readily available 24 -7 to support volunteers.
Scholarships and Program Charges
Scholarships covering all program charges will be used to around 16 trainees. Air travel to Greece is not covered by scholarship funds. If getting a scholarship, please discuss this in your cover letter and consist of whether you would have the ability to take part in the program without a scholarship.
If you are chosen for the program and do not require a scholarship, the expense for involvement is $2999 plus air travel to Greece.