Due Date: December 19, 2018
InfoNile is looking for applications for Reporting Grants concentrated on problems of land grabs in the Nile Basin as part of a job moneyed by the Pulitzer Center. They welcome freelancers and personnel reporters in Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan and Egypt to send propositions for extensive investigative multimedia journalism stories on land grabs in the Nile Basin. These stories become part of a series of stories on land grabs moneyed by the Pulitzer Center and will likewise feed into a last information journalism job released worldwide.
Story pitches ought to concentrate on several circumstances of “land grabbing” in the reporter’s nation. In current years, there has actually been a boost in the taking of land in the Nile basin by foreign federal governments and agribusiness companies to develop massive agribusiness financial investments. Financiers from nations consisting of Saudi Arabia, South Korea, China and India are obtaining fertile and vulnerable pieces of Nile-irrigated land consisting of wetlands to produce rice, maize and other items that they deliver back house.
What is stressing is that these commercial farming tasks take in huge quantities of water, straining the Nile’s natural withdraw limitations and aggravating worldwide water disputes. They likewise displace countless individuals with little payment.
InfoNile is a geojournalism platform mapping information on water problems in the Nile River basin of Africa with journalism stories to promote transboundary peace. It aggregates resident, regional and worldwide reporting on the different measurements of water problems in the Nile Basin, varying from the ecological and sociocultural to the financial and political. InfoNile’s significant material partner is Water Reporters Africa, a network of about 700 reporters in Africa spread out throughout some 50 nations that report on water. We likewise commission extensive unique tasks on water to reporters reporting in the area.
These grants are supported kindly by the Pulitzer Center.
Locations of Focus
Your story ought to concentrate on several of the land grabs noted in the information tables above that lie in your nation. You ought to deal with the following concerns:
- What is the history of the land get? What existed prior to in the location, and how did the agribusiness job happened?
- Who is the company/owner of the job and what is their background and track record? Where else do they have tasks and where are those items exported?
- Which crops or other items are produced? Where are they exported and just how much are they worth?
- What are the regional effects of the particular land offers on the environment, economies, individuals and cultures of the locations where the financial investments are found?
- Just how much water are the tasks taking in?
- How are the tasks impacting regional neighborhoods’ access to water?
- How are they impacting conflicts over water sharing in the Nile basin?
- Exist any examples of effective efforts where the advantages of “land grabs” by foreign business are supporting and benefiting the regional neighborhoods also?
- Exist any examples of effective resistance efforts by regional neighborhoods that have led to more fair sharing of resources?
The output ought to be a multimedia story including text, video, photography, audio and information visualization/mapping.
Please keep in mind that if you get the grant, you will get technical assistance with developing graphics, information visualization and mapping. Nevertheless, you will be needed to shoot video footage and interviews. If you do not have that proficiency, please propose a videographer you can take a trip with who can gather video.
Stories can be released in other languages however ought to likewise be equated into English.
InfoNile will think about stipend ask for reporters, professional photographers and videographers. Expenditures for travel, research study and/or database gain access to, and translation might likewise be covered.
- They are trying to find stories that are substantial in material and depth, initial, under-reported and important.
- They anticipate budget plans to not surpass $1,000 per proposition.
- Stories can be released in Arabic or Amharic however the author is anticipated to send an equated post that will be released by InfoNile in English.
Please send the following not behind 19 December 2018:
- A one page proposition detailing your story concept. Propositions ought to be plainly structured, mentioning briefly at the beginning what the story concept is, followed by how and where the story will be looked into, what it intends to expose or contribute, where you will release (particular media companies), and the designated effect of the story. The proposition needs to likewise consist of a prepare for including information. Please keep in mind how you will utilize multimedia (video, images, audio, and graphics in addition to text). You ought to likewise consist of a proposed spending plan.
- A resumé/ CV;-LRB- *************).
- 2 samples of published/broadcast work. Hyperlinks to the released stories are likewise are accepted.
- Letter of assistance from your editor, mentioning that your media house/s will release/ telecast/ transmit your story.
Applications can just be sent through [email protected]
To learn more, go to InfoNile Reporting Grants