Application Deadline: 15 November 2021
The INSTITUT FRANÇAIS launches a call for applications for its programme at the Cité internationale des arts for residencies between April 2022 and April 2023.
With the support and delegation of the French Ministry of Culture and the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, subscribers of studios at the Cité internationale des arts, the Institut français allows nearly 70 artists each year to benefit from a residency in the heart of Paris.
Since its creation in 1965, the CITÉ INTERNATIONALE DES ARTS has welcomed artists from all over the world. It is a place of life open to dialogue between cultures, where artists meet their audiences and professionals. In partnership with 135 French and international organizations, it welcomes each month more than 300 artists from all disciplines, generations and horizons.
This programme is intended for foreign artists, residing exclusively outside of France, wishing to develop a research and creation project in Paris, for a period of three or six months.
Applications must be supported by one or several cultural partners.
The partners associated with the artist may be:
- Establishments from the French Cultural Network Abroad
- Instituts français, Cultural Services of French Embassies, Alliances françaises And/or French or foreign cultural bodies Art center, association, multidisciplinary lab, gallery, museum, approved body, theatre, production venue for dance and street arts, concert hall, festival abroad, etc.
- In France, priority shall be given to applications supported by certified bodies and networks of the ministry of Culture
Artists may present a research project on a topic/theme of their choice, within the disciplines mentioned below:
Architecture/landscaping/urban planning, visual arts, street arts/circus/puppets, comic arts, cinema (fiction, animated cinema,
creative documentary), exhibition curating/art critic, digital creation (digital arts, video games, VR), dance, design/graphism, literature (fiction, essay, children’s literature), crafts, fashion design, music (current, classic, contemporary and music for films and video games), photography, multidisciplinary projects, theater.
- The INSTITUT FRANÇAIS offers individual residencies and finances the accommodation in studio-apartments at the Cité internationale des arts, on the site of the Marais, in Paris.
- The studio-apartments, of a surface of approximatively 40m2, are equipped with a work area and a furnished living area (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen) and are fitted with a Wi-Fi Internet connection.
The PARTNER(S) ASSOCIATED WITH THE ARTIST, in France or abroad,
shall commit to:
• Finance round-trip travel expenses;
• Ensure that the artist holds an insurance covering the following: repatriation, hospitalization fees, medical fees and civil liability;
• Ensure that the laureate holds a visa enabling him/her to stay in France for his/her residency period.
• Provide the artist with a minimum allowance of 700 euros, per month.
For the French cultural network abroad, new possibilities of financing the allowance through CAMPUS FRANCE are now opened
- Since 2020, and while waiting for the creation of a new parameter in the Crocus software currently under development (until 2022), the Department gives the possibility for the French cultural network abroad to set up, via Campus France, “Artist-in-residence” fellowship, through the “SSHN – young researcher” grants. In support of their application, the Institut français, SCAC or Alliance française will have
to send the following documents to Campus France: photocopy of passport, letter of acceptance from the French host institution, letter presenting the project and the artist’s CV.
As the overall cost of a residence can represent high amounts for a single partner, the residencies department of the Institut français encourages partners to develop co-financed projects in collaboration with several French and/or foreign associated structures. The Institut français highly recommends that the associated partners contact Mathilde Lajarrige – [email protected], prior to submitting applications, to build the project together.
The artist must:
• Be financially supported by one or several associated partners;
• Already be active in his/her professional life;
• Be proficient in French and/or English;
• Provide proof of previous artistic work;
• Be sufficiently independent to manage his/her residency;
• Be free of any professional obligations throughout his/her residency period;
• Respect a waiting period of three completed years after the residency before re-applying to the Institut français’ residency programmes.
There is no limit of age.
Dates of the Study
The period of residency shall be three or six months. The residency periods must comply with the following calendar (no mid-month arrivals or departures):
→ Arrival on April 8th, 2022 / departure on July 4th, 2022
→ Arrival on July 8th, 2022 / departure on October 4th, 2022
→ Arrival on October 10th , 2022 / departure on January 4th, 2023
→ Arrival on January 10th , 2023 / departure on April 4th, 2023
→ Arrival on April 8th, 2022 / Departure on October 4th, 2022
→ Arrival on October 10th , 2022 / departure on April 4th, 2023
This programme will be carried out with the utmost vigilance with regard to the health situation. Stays will remain subject to the conditions and sanitary instructions at the beginning date of the residence.
Complete the IFProg online form using the following information:
• Project depostior: information about the associated partner(s)
• Description of the project: artist’s information, title of the project, brief presentation of the residency project, objectives and expected results, preference on the residency period, support and financial commitment of the associated partner(s)
• Partnerships: information on possible contacts and partnerships
established with French and/or foreign artists and/or professionals. Documents to be submitted with the application form:
• A specific project for the residency (max. 5 pages)
• A Curriculum Vitae
• An artistic file / portfolio, which may include photographs, press articles, links to sites, video or audio excerpts
• A signed statement ensuring that the works to be presented are by the artist
• Commitment letter from the associated partner(s) specifying the details of its financial support (travel expenses, living allowance, etc.) as well as an explanatory note on the reasons why it is supporting the artist’s application, indicating explicitly how it intends to promote the winner’s work during and following his/her residency.
For More Information: