Deadline: November 30, 2020
Applications are open for the Intelsat-XinaBox Space STEM Program Scholarships 2020. Intelsat is partnering with XinaBox to deliver space-focused STEM learning tools to teenagers across the African continent.
Intelsat is sponsoring scholarships, each worth hundreds of dollars, for 20 students in Africa to access XinaBox’s dedicated space STEM kits and educational programs, which culminate in students designing, building and launching satellites into space.
XinaBox (pronounced “X in a box”) removes barriers to participation in the growing STEM academic field and economy. Its XinaBox Kits provide a rapid hardware development platform, specifically designed and manufactured for STEM applications in schools and universities. Using commercial standard electronics components, students are able to design and build circuits, code using multiple formats and conduct experiments, without specialist equipment or lab.
Through building, experimenting, and creating working electronic devices, crafters, students and tinkerers learn critical STEM skills, including coding, electronics, data gathering and analysis, control, and all the principles of Internet of Things (IoT), while engaging with the sensory environment around them. This approach uniquely bridges the virtual worlds of software, the cloud, and big data, with students’ real-world surroundings.
- Applicant should be between 15 and 18 years of age;
- Born and currently living on the African continent;
- Demonstrates a passion for, and knowledge of, science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM);
- Has a clear interest in all things “space”;
- Access to the internet, and a smart device for virtual workshops, i.e. can run a browser-based collaboration tool (camera not essential);
- Browser skills;
- Proficient in English (the first program will be delivered in English).
Students with an interest in the scholarship who meet the criteria are encouraged to apply before the deadline: November 30, 2020 at 5pm. SA. The application process requires completing an online form, a space quiz and submitting a short explanation building the case for why you should be selected for this unique program.
For more information, visit Intelsat.