International Reporters’ Programs (IJP) provide a bursary to approximately 6 young Southern African (SADC-Member States: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe + Kenia) and approximately 5 young German reporters. For 2 months the Southern African delegates will have the possibility to operate in Germany. They will be incorporated into the daily journalism of their host newsroom while likewise looking into stories for their house media.
It is presumed that all prospects have a strong command of the English language. German language capabilities are a benefit however are not compulsory.
The Southern African-German Reporters’ Program is a multiyear effort to form an incorporated understanding of the other nation and area and to promote relations in between Africa and Germany. It has actually been provided as a reaction to issues about an increasing political and cultural detachment in between Africa and Europe. The bursary is planned to make it possible for young reporters to acquire important insights into the political, affordable, cultural along with the social material of the host nation.
The bursary is called in honour of the previous Federal President Horst Köhler and his excellent commitment to the increase of German-African relations.
For all chosen IJP fellows the program begins with an Initial Conference for all delegates. This will enable the individuals from Southern Africa to acquaint themselves with the host nation. After that they will work for numerous weeks with media homes prior to heading out to carry out private research study within Germany. Candidates are asked to send their choices for the paper, radio or TELEVISION station or news company they wish to deal with. The possible area will be selected by the IJP organisers in discussion with each delegate. It is anticipated that previous and brand-new individuals help one another with regard to lodging and contacts.
- The Southern African delegates get a set payment of 3,000 Euro. This is anticipated to cover the majority of their travel, lodging and living expenditures.
- No more payments will be made: delegates are anticipated to utilize their own funds for any more expenses. Payment for their deal with the host media is not imagined.
- To get the complete grant individuals are required to compose a report of a minimum of 3 pages and offer copies of their released journalistic work after returning house.
All reporters from Southern Africa (SADC Member States and Kenia) in between the age of 25 and 40 who routinely work for a media organisation can use.
1. Confine a CV with a passport picture.
2. Compose a 800 word essay attending to the following subjects:
- Why you wish to operate in Germany
- What you anticipate from IJP and what you believe you can add to it?
- What are the 3 research study subjects you wish to pursue throughout the fellowship?
- What function you anticipate to dip into your house media in the future?
- How you will invest the bursary?
3. Consist of a one-page resume detailing your education and work experience, your requirement of German and English (copies of certificates/ e.g. Goethe Institut/Toefel), plus 2 copies of posts composed by you (TELEVISION and radio reporters should type up their reports because no audio or video tapes can be thought about)
4. A journalistic recommendation from your editor or head of department is needed (freelancers need to send a referral from a senior reporter). It needs to likewise ensure your leave of lack throughout of the program.
Candidates are asked to send out the application files (Email) not prior to December 15 th, 2018 and till February 15 th, 2019 to the following address: