Deadline: November 15, 2021
Applications are open for the Internet4Good Media Capacity Building Workshop 2021. The Internet4Good project will engage Ghanaian journalists, media practitioners and freelancers in a 2-day capacity-building workshop to equip local media with the capacity for responsible and nuanced reporting on internet use and abuse.
The rise of negative reporting around internet scams in Africa has contributed to shaping a negative international image, fostered a moral panic around internet use, and, in some cases, deprived young Africans from ethical internet-related opportunities. Moreover, there is an underreporting of not just the social, economic and cultural drivers of internet scam in Africa, but even the numerous positive ways young Africans can use – and are using – the internet.
To counterbalance the effect of this negative narrative, Internet4Good with support from the Bosch Alumni Network seeks to portray a positive narrative about the internet for young Africans while projecting a better image of young Africans within global media. A key insight from the first phase of the project was that local media still faced numerous capacity gaps which contribute to the single story around Africans’ involvement in cybercrime. Some of these gaps include: the lack of local institutions for data verification and fact checking, limited collaborative networking, poor engagement with subject-matter experts and lack of access to, and representation in, global media platforms.
- An opportunity to access a mini writing grant and to join the Bosch Alumni Network Media Cluster.
- Applicant must work as a journalist, media practitioner or freelancer based in Ghana;
- Have at least 2 years experience;
- Have a demonstrated interest in reporting about the internet-related and youth issues – including cybercrime;
- Be committed to attending a 2 day physical workshop in Accra sometime in November;
- Willingness to develop and publish an article on a relevant topic after the workshop.
Applications are to be submitted on or before November 15, 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit Internet4Good.