Deadline: April 1, 2021
Applications for the Investintech/CAJ Journalism Scholarship 2021 are now open. The aim for this scholarship is to support and encourage journalism students by helping them with the costs of their education, which can often be a hindrance to their career.
Not only that, but they intend for this scholarship to serve as a way to help prepare students for a career path as a journalist by getting them to think about the industry and its ever increasing emphasis on data. That said, this scholarship will go to one Canadian student who shows insight and good understanding of the journalism industry before they even enter the newsroom professionally. They want to get Canadian and journalism students, like you, to really think about the data you use in your stories.
- $1,000 CAD.
- Free one year membership with the CAJ.
- One free pass to the annual CAJ national conference.
Open to students who show an interest in data journalism. Eligible students must meet the following requirements:
- Majoring in a journalism program, working towards either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Currently accepted to or enrolled in a college or university in Canada.
- Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree in journalism.
- Non-journalism program students may apply, but will need to show evidence of their journalism skills and interest, such as having a published news story, or be working for a college publication, etc.
They will review all entries according to the criteria below:
- Follow all submission rules and complete full details
- Submissions must be in English or in French
- Minimum word count for written parts of the submission: 500
- Previously published material can be submitted
- Creativity and style; coherence and readability
- Effective use of data, visualizations, and/or medium being used
- Strength of the topic and the applicant’s work
Submit your entry along with the following details:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Educational Institute (college or university)
- Your journalism experience: internships, school newspapers, relevant positions, blogs, etc.
- A short 100 – 200 word bio, profile picture, and 1-2 professional or social links
For more information, visit Investintech/CAJ Journalism Scholarship.