Application Deadline: Varying by Country
The Young Leaders’ Program (YLP) aims to contribute to cultivate future national leaders in Asian and other countries, moreover, to contribute to establish friendly relationship among various countries and to improve policy planning activities by forming a network among national leaders thorough deepening their understanding of Japan. The YLP is one of the Japanese Government (MEXT*) Scholarship Programs. *MEXT: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
Eligible Countries and Participants
Participants are selected from the countries listed below. They should be legal professionals, who are expected
to play an active role as future national leaders in their respective countries.
Eligible Countries: P. R. China, Rep. of Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Viet Nam, Laos,
Myanmar, Cambodia, Mongolia, Singapore, India, Rep. of South Africa, Turkey and Bangladesh(16 Countries)
Kyushu University, Graduate School of Law.
Recruitment and Selection
(1) Method of Recruitment
Recruitment will be conducted through specially designated recommending institutions. Please enquire at the
Japanese Embassy for further information on the recommending institutions.
(2) Screening Procedure
① First screening by the recommending authorities
② Second screening by the host university (in this case, Kyushu University)
③ Final screening by the YLP Committee established by MEXT
Curriculum (Refer to the Appendix “Curriculum Guidelines”.)
(1) Basic Concept of YLP programs
Each YLP course has been specially designed to contribute to the development of national leaders in various fields by seeking to take advantage of Japan’s experiences of exchange with both Western and Asian countries and to establish a “human network” through education related activities.
(2) Course Duration and Qualification
Course duration is ,in principle, for one year, resulting in the conferring of a Master’s degree in Law from Kyushu University.
(3) Language All classes will be conducted entirely in English.
(1) Nationality: Applicants must be nationals of a country that is participating in the YLP (see above). An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application will not be eligible.
(2) Age: Applicants must be, in principle, under 40 years old as of 1st October 2021 (i.e. born on or after 2 October 1981).
(3) Academic Background: Applicants must be college graduates who have attained a high level of academic achievement in their undergraduate study.
(4) English Ability: A minimum TOEFL –ITP score of 550, TOEFL-iBT score of 80, IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent.
(5) Work Experience: At least 4 years of work experience from the time of graduating to the time of application.
The work experience must be in the applicant’s home country in a law office or in the legal section of a company or government department. The work experience must also be full-time and after graduation from university.
(6) Health: Applicants must be judged that you are medically adequate to pursue study in Japan by an examining physician on a prescribed certificate of health.
(7) Arrival in Japan: In principle, applicants must be able to arrive in Japan during the period specified by the accepting university, within two weeks before and after the first day of the course conducted by the accepting university. If the applicant cannot arrive in Japan during the specified period for personal reasons, travel expenses to Japan will not be paid.
(8) Visa Requirement: In principle, a selected applicant must obtain a “Student” (留学) visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of nationality, and enter Japan with the residence status of “Student.” Applicants who change their residence status to any status other than “Student” (留学) after their arrival in Japan will immediately lose their status as a MEXT Scholarship student.
(1) Allowance: 242,000 yen per month. Due to the situation of the Japanese Government’s budget, the amount of payment may be subject to change each fiscal year. The scholarship will not be paid to a grantee who takes a leave of absence or is long absent from the assigned university.
(2) Traveling Costs
① Transportation to Japan: In principle, MEXT stipulates the travel schedule and route, and provides an economy-class airline ticket from the international airport nearest to his/her home address (in principle, the country of nationality) to the Fukuoka International Airport. The grantee shall bear at his/her own expense all costs related to domestic travel from his/her home address to the nearest international airport, airport taxes, airport usage fees, special taxes necessary for travel, travel expenses within Japan (including airline transit costs), travel insurance expenses, carry-on luggage or unaccompanied baggage expenses, etc. The present address in the country of the grantee’s nationality stated in the application form is in principle regarded as the recipient’s “home address”. If, however, the address stated in the application form will be changed at the time of leaving from his/her country, the changed address will be regarded as the “home address”.
② Transportation from Japan: Based on the application by the grantee, MEXT will provide an airline ticket to grantees who shall graduate the accepting university and return to the home country by the end of the final month of the period of scholarship (See “3. Period of Scholarship”) designated by MEXT. MEXT, in principle, shall provide an economy-class airline ticket from the Fukuoka International Airport to the international airport (in principle, in the country of nationality) nearest to the returning grantee’s
residence. The grantee shall bear at his/her own expense all costs related to travel from the grantee’s residence in Japan to the nearest international airport, airport taxes, airport usage fees, special taxes necessary for travel, travel expenses within the country of nationality (including airline transit costs), travel insurance expenses, carry-on luggage or unaccompanied baggage expenses, etc.
(3) Education Fees:
Fees for entrance examination, matriculation and tuition will be paid by MEXT.
(4) Accommodation: Students can apply for a room at Kyushu University accommodation. (Please note: The
number of rooms is limited and successful candidates are not guaranteed a room).
For More Information: