Deadline: August 1, 2021
Applications are open for the Kader Asmal Fellowship 2022/2023. The Kader Asmal Fellowship Program is a fully-funded scholarship opportunity offered to South African students to study at Master’s level in Ireland’s world-renowned Higher Education Institutions.
This flagship program of the Embassy of Ireland in South Africa is part of the broader Ireland Fellows Program offered by Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs. The Kader Asmal Fellowship Program is targeted at early career professionals in South Africa with leadership potential. The scholarship broadly supports leadership for the Sustainable Development Goals, and supporting the development of women’s leadership capacity and women’s participation in STEM are key priorities.
In addition, the Kader Asmal Fellowship Program aims to support students who would not otherwise have the opportunity to pursue Master’s level education in Ireland, and graduates of Universities of Historical Disadvantage and Universities of Technology in particular are encouraged to apply.
- The scholarship award covers course fees, required flights, accommodation, monthly allowances, insurance and other incidental expenses. Eligible Masters programs in Ireland commence in the period August to September each year and, depending on the course, scholarships will run for between 10 and 16 months.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must:
- Be a resident national of South Africa
- Have a minimum of two years’ relevant work experience (this can include internships and volunteering)
- Hold an honours’ level academic qualification from an accredited and government-recognised higher education institution, with a minimum grade point average of 75% – i.e. a first class honour, or second class honour, grade 1 (in some cases a second class honour grade 2 may be accepted).
- Not already hold a qualification at master’s level or higher. Not currently undertaking a program at master’s level or higher, or be due to start a program at master’s level or higher in the academic year 2021/22.
- Be applying to commence a new course at master’s level in Ireland no sooner than August/September 2022.
- Be able to demonstrate leadership abilities and aspirations, as well as commitment to the achievement of the SDGs within your own country.
- Have identified and selected two relevant courses from the Ireland Fellows Program Directory of Eligible Programs.
- Have a clear understanding of the academic and English language proficiencies required for both courses chosen.
- Must not have applied for the Kader Asmal Fellowship Program on more than one previous occasion.
- Be in a position to take up the Fellowship in the academic year 2022/23.
Eligible courses are in areas such as agriculture, health, education, human rights, computer science, engineering, business and more, and are listed in a Directory of Eligible Programs.
The deadline for receipt of applications and accompanying documents is August 1, 2021. All application documents are available here.
For more information, visit Kader Asmal Fellowship.