Deadline: October 20, 2020
Applications are invited for the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Scholarship Program 2021/2022. The Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program was established in October, 2002. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State, along with the U.S. exchange community, recognized the importance of youth exchange as a key component to building bridges between citizens of the United States and countries around the world, particularly those with significant Muslim populations.
The program is funded by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs (ECA) to provide scholarships for high school students from countries with significant Muslim populations to study for one academic year in the United States. YES students serve as “youth ambassadors” of their home country, promoting mutual understanding by forming lasting relationships with their host families and communities. Participants live with a host family, attend an American high school, acquire leadership skills, and engage in activities to learn about U.S. society and values; they also help educate Americans about their home country and culture.
The YES scholarship covers costs related to:
- round-trip airfare from your home country to the United States;
- the cost of a Pre-Departure Orientation;
- placement with a U.S. host family for 10 to 11 months;
- a modest monthly stipend;
- health insurance; and
- the cost of program activities and materials.
- Open to students in Secondary or High school;
- Have the equivalent of a B average or better without failing grades;
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for J-1 visa);
- Be between 15 – 18 years.
If you’re interested in applying to the YES program, you can learn more about applying in your country here. Locate your country’s page and learn more about the eligibility requirements and application and selection process in your specific country.
For more information, visit YES Scholarship.