Deadline: October 19, 2020
Registrations and submissions are now being accepted for the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD 2021 contest. The KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD is an international competition for user-centric product design, where the best of the best are actually put on the consumer market.
This year’s theme is “POST-NORMAL”. The target designs that we want to receive are for “stationery, furniture and all items generally used in working, learning and living scenes”. As all items generally used in everyday life are included in the target design areas, we are expecting the submission of flexible ideas, not only in stationery and furniture which are the main product categories of KOKUYO.
They are looking for any and all ideas to turn into actual products. Be sure to submit your design for the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD 2021.
- Grand Prix (1 winner) – ¥ 2,000,000 (about $18,000)
- Mert Award (3 winners) – ¥ 500,000 (about $4,500 per winner)
Entrants will make a presentation at final judging (secondary judging) in Tokyo. (March 13, 2021) * The contest organizer will pay expenses incurred by participants for travel and lodging (up to two individuals for group entries).
Special prizes may be awarded.
- Not all prizes may be awarded for all categories if there is no winner selected.
- Prize money will be paid net of withholding tax, surtax for reconstruction funding, and other applicable deductions.
- The amount shown in dollar is that calculated at the time of publication. The prize will be calculated according to the exchange rate at the time of payment, from the amount shown in Japanese yen.
This is an international design contest. They take designs from anyone anywhere in the world.
- The competition accepts entries from any corporation, individual, or group that fulfills all the following requirements, regardless of their age, sex, occupation, or nationality.
- Any stationery, furniture or tool used in working, learning and living scenes will be accepted.
- Entrants must be able to make a presentation at final judging (secondary judging) in Tokyo. (March 13, 2021) * The contest organizer will pay expenses incurred by participants for travel and lodging (up to two individuals for group entries).
- Those who consent to these Rules. * In cases when an entrant is a minor, the consent of their parent or other statutory agent is required.
- Entry eligibility is limited to those designs never before shown publicly (in Japan, other countries)
- Submissions must be the original work of the entrant. Submissions cannot have been made public (in Japan or overseas) before or concurrent to this contest.
- Submitted works cannot have been entered into other competitions. Submissions may not be displayed publicly without the agreement of the contest organizer.
- The organizer shall not be held responsible for any expenses incurred with the entry of works withdrawn. The contest organizer will exercise due care in the handling and transportation of works submitted. However, the contest organizer shall not be liable for any damage or loss resulting from natural disasters or other unexpected events.
- Works (including Presentation Sheets and Models) submitted shall belong to the contest organizer and shall not be returned. The contest organizer retains all rights related to contest exhibition or publication of submitted Works.
- Entrants shall take full responsibility for their submission.
- The design’s interpretation of the theme
- The design’s level of completion
- The design’s potential to become a product
Check the entry requirements, and then register your entrant information, design information, and submit your design data using the ENTRY pages on our website.
Winners will be posted on the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD website after the conclusion of the official announcements.
For more information, visit KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD.