Deadline: August 31, 2018
Applications are open for the LeidenASA Visiting Fellowship, a three-month programme at Leiden University (African Studies Centre) from January up to and including March 2019. The ASC Leiden hosts visiting research fellows in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly (Leiden ASA), a network for cooperation between Leiden based Africanists.
Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University. A visiting research fellowship is for a maximum of 90 days.
A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Single accommodation in Leiden with shared facilities.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
Research fellows are divided over three periods of three months each: January-February-March, April-May-June, September-October-November.
- Applications from all academic disciplines are welcome.
- An application must include an element of collaboration with a researcher of the African Studies Centre Leiden and a researcher of another faculty/department of Leiden University. The output of that collaboration can be a joint seminar or workshop, a joint research proposal, or a joint publication.
In order to be eligible for a LeidenASA 90-day Visiting Research Fellowship, the applicant has to fulfil all of the following criteria.
He or she must:
- Hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying;
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa;
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career;
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards;
- Propose a research project for the fellowship that is likely to contribute to interfaculty collaboration at Leiden University; as shown in statements of collaboration (enclosed with the application) from one African Studies Centre Leiden scholar and (at least) one other Leiden University scholar;
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship.
In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements,
- Preference will be given to applicants based in Africa. ‘Africa’ here refers to the member states of the African Union. ‘Based in’ Africa is understood to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four years; and
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
Applications must be submitted in English or French. However, Visiting Research Fellows may pursue their research in any language(s) of their choice, in agreement with their ASCL/Leiden University counterparts.
Please complete application form below and send it, together with all required additional documents, to: [email protected].
- your updated list of publications;
- a digital copy of two international publications, preferably journal articles;
- two recent letters of recommendation;
- a statement from an ASCL researcher stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you;
- a statement from a Leiden University researcher (not ASCL) stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you.
For more information, visit LeidenASA Visiting Fellowship.