Application Deadline: March 15th 2020
The Review of African Political Economy (ROAPE) announces a small research grants competition for African scholars and/or activists based in Africa. The competition is based on the premise that a shortage of funding for critical research is one of the problems faced by Africa-based scholars and activists wishing to carry forward a political economy agenda. In response to this, ROAPE is offering up to two small research grants (value £3000).
Applicants should be nationals of an African country and residents in an African country. Applicants who are based in or studying outside Africa will not be considered. Priority will be given to younger scholars and activists who are not yet established and who do not have alternative source of funding for primary research. Joint applications (by two candidates or more) meeting these criteria will also be considered.
How to apply
Applications should be sent by email to the following address: [email protected]
Please make sure that you include these words in the title of your email: ‘Lionel Cliffe Memorial Research Scholarship’.
Your application should contain:
1. A brief outline of your research proposal, consisting of:
- a title
- an abstract of no more than 100 words, clarifying the political economy framing of the research
- an outline of no more than 200 words, including a section on the methodology to be adopted in the proposed study
2. your CV with:
- relevant biographical info (name; age; sex; contact details; nationality – please specify if you have more than one nationality; current residence – please specify if you have double residence)
- educational qualifications
- activist experience
- research experience
- your current employment circumstances, including any study or internship programme you are enrolled in, with specification of your remuneration if applicable.
3. a motivation letter explaining how you meet the criteria and why you think you are a good candidate for the LCMRS
4. two full references, inclusive of position/institutional affiliation; email addresses, phone numbers and (if possible) skype contacts. If you are shortlisted, your referees will be asked to produce a reference letter on a short notice.
- Deadline for applications: 15 March 2020.
- Selection of short list: 20 April 2020, with notification to short-listed candidates.
- Submission of extended proposals from short-listed candidates: 1 June 2020
- Final selection and notification to successful candidates: 1 July 2020 – payment of first tranche of grant (1/3 of the total, £1,000)
- Start of research period and mentorship programme: 1 July 2020
- First-year summary report: 1 July 2021(payment of second tranche)
- Formal submission of article to ROAPE: no later than 1 July 2022 (payment of third tranche)
For More Information: