Due Date: October 1, 2019
Applications are open for the NED Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program 2020-2021 The Fellows Program, based at the International Online Forum for Democratic Research studies, supports democratic activists, scholars, and reporters from around the globe to carry out independent research study, construct specific capability, and exchange concepts to enhance democratic advancement in their nations, areas, or fields of knowledge.
Called in honor of 2 of NED’s primary creators, previous president Ronald Reagan and the late congressman Dante Fascell, the program has actually hosted more than 250 fellows from almost 90 nations considering that its starting in 2001.
The program provides five-month fellowships for specialists to enhance techniques and methods for constructing democracy abroad and five-month fellowships for scholars to carry out initial research study for publication. While in home, fellows review their experiences; engage with equivalents; conduct research study and writing; think about finest practices and lessons found out; and establish expert relationships within an international network of democracy supporters. Fellows are anticipated to finish a composed item connecting to their proposed research study job. The fellowship culminates in an official discussion in which fellows generally concentrate on their research study job or another subject connecting to the state of democracy in their nation.
- Professional Track: Potential candidates might use on either the professional or academic track. The Reagan-Fascell program is planned mostly for specialists from establishing and striving democracies, and those from non-democratic nations. Candidates using to the professional track are anticipated to have significant useful experience working to promote democracy or human rights in their native land or interest. There are no particular degree requirements for the professional track. While there are likewise no age limitations, candidates on the professional track are generally mid-career experts with numerous years of work experience in the field of democracy and human rights. Examples of qualified prospects for the professional track consist of human rights supporters, civil society leaders, political celebration figures, human rights attorneys, parliamentarians, labor union activists, reporters, and other members of the media.
- Academic Track: Potential candidates might use on either the professional or academic track. While the program is planned mostly for specialists from around the globe, differentiated scholars from the United States and other recognized democracies are likewise qualified to use. Candidates using to the academic track are anticipated to have a doctorate (a Ph.D., or scholastic equivalent) at the time of application, to have actually released in their field of knowledge, and to have actually established a comprehensive research study summary for their fellowship job. Examples of qualified prospects for the academic track consist of institution of higher learning teachers, experts at proving ground and believe tanks, authors, and public intellectuals.
- Program Activities: Through its calendar of workshops, roundtables, excursion, and other occasions, the program looks for to: (a) construct understanding about the work of the Endowment and its core institutes; (b) supply education worrying democracy through excursion and workshops; (c) assistance outreach for discussion and interaction with the governmental, nongovernmental, scholastic, and media neighborhoods around town and beyond; and (d) promote a sense of collegiality amongst fellows as a group. In addition, fellows take advantage of the lots of casual social and cultural activities that the program needs to use, consisting of journeys to sporting occasions, museums, motion pictures, and pleased hours.
- Financial Backing: Each fellow gets a regular monthly stipend for living expenditures, plus fundamental medical insurance and roundtrip travel to and from Washington, D.C., at the start and end of the fellowship duration. Fellowship payments are determined to cover expense of a short-term, provided rental home, plus “expense of living” for food, regional transport, and other requirements. Fellows are offered with a totally geared up workplace, plus a restricted spending plan for long-distance call and expert travel within the United States. Please note that fellows who want to bring relative with them to Washington, D.C., will be anticipated to cover the expenses of their dependents’ roundtrip travel and remain within the United States.
- Research Study Associates: Research study partners are appointed to deal with numerous fellows and supply important assistance in a range of methods: talking to fellows on the shape and instructions of their jobs, supplying research study, composed, and editorial assistance on concerns connecting to the theory and practice of democracy, helping with outreach, helping in the preparation and follow-up of fellows’ public discussions, and supplying other help as essential.
- Democracy Resource Center: Housed at NED, the Democracy Resource Center (DRC) is staffed by 4 curators and consists of around 20,000 works, consisting of books, journals, beneficiary reports, and other publications on democracy.
All candidates ought to:
- Demonstrate efficiency in the English language
- Propose a job concentrating on the political, social, financial, legal or cultural elements of democratic advancement
- Be readily available to operate in home at the International Online Forum for Democratic Research Studies in Washington, D.C. throughout the 5 month fellowship duration (October 1-February 28 or March 1-July 31). No other fellowships or tasks might be held at this time.
Candidates on the professional track ought to:
- Have significant useful experience working to promote democracy or human rights in their native land or interest
- Be mid-career experts
Candidates on the academic track ought to:
- Have a doctorate (a Ph.D., or scholastic equivalent) at the time of application
- Have a tested record of publications in their field
- Have actually established a comprehensive research study summary for their fellowship job
To use, you need to initially produce an account through this online website For comprehensive directions on how to produce an account, click here As soon as you have actually established an account, the application procedure needs you to send:
- Candidate details
- Task proposition for the professional or the academic fellowship track
- Recommendation letters
- Resume/CV and Bio
Please send all application products in English.
For additional information, see Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Program