Deadline: February 1, 2021
Applications are open for the New America National Fellows Program Class of 2022. The Program invests in thinkers—journalists, scholars, filmmakers, and public policy analysts—who generate big, bold ideas that have an impact and spark new conversations about the most pressing issues of our day.
National Fellows advance ideas through research, reporting, analysis, and storytelling. They look for projects that are original and ambitious, with viable plans for their implementation. There is no set template for a successful fellowship project. Some projects focus on furthering a new public policy idea through either a domestic or international lens, while others illuminate longstanding dilemmas of American life from new angles.
The goal of New America is to find bold, impactful thinkers and to fund them for a year; long enough to make progress on a book, develop a series of articles, produce a documentary, or work on another project that is accessible.
- Stipends generally fall into the following levels: $15,000-$30,000. While you will officially become a National Fellow in September 2021, stipends will be paid in three installments starting in January of 2022 through August 2022 (consolidated to be paid during the 2022 calendar year).
- Open to journalists, scholars, filmmakers, and public policy analysts;
- They consider applications from those who may be based abroad for all or part of the year, and they accept applications from non-US citizens.
- Previous applicants who were not accepted for the program can apply again.
There are two phases to the selection process:
- Phase 1: Applications are due Monday, February 1, 2021, at 11:59 pm EST. All applications must be completed and submitted online. The Fellows Program staff review all of the applications from February to April. This first review winnows the entire applicant pool down to between 40 and 50 finalists.
- Phase 2: All candidates will be made aware of the status of their application in May, and finalists will be asked to schedule interviews with the program staff at that time. Once they determine the finalists, they send all of the applications for review by the Selection Committee, which is comprised of New America’s President, Fellows Program staff, current and former New America National Fellows, and other issue experts in New America’s network. Applications are private—they ask anyone involved in the selection process not to share or discuss any of the candidates or materials with outsiders.
- Final Selection: They expect to make their final selections in early July and will contact finalists about their decisions at that time. The Class of 2022 National Fellows will be publicly announced when they begin their fellowships in September 2021.
For more information, visit New America.