Application Due Date: December 21, 2018
Now in its 8th year, OneBeat brings artists (ages 19-35) from all over the world to the U.S. for one month each fall to collaboratively compose, produce, and carry out initial music, and establish methods for arts-based social engagement. OneBeat starts with an opening residency, when Fellows work together to develop initial product, tape-record brand-new musical concepts, and nurture their tasks. OneBeat fellows then go on trip, carrying out for a broad selection of American audiences, teaming up with regional artists, and leading workshops with youth. Throughout the month, each OneBeat artist likewise sets out their prepare for the future, establishing tasks in their house nations connected to a mutually-reinforcing network of music-driven social business.
OneBeat is a musical journey like no other. It is an opportunity for daring artists from an extraordinary variety of customs to look for commonalities, develop brand-new musical mixes, press the borders of music innovation, and discover methods to include all members of society in the procedure of musical imagination. OneBeat undertakings to be the nexus of a brand-new method of thinking of how music can assist us jointly construct healthy neighborhoods, flourishing societies, and a more serene world.
An effort of the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs in cooperation with the cutting-edge New York-based music company Bang on a Can’s Found Noise Country, OneBeat utilizes collective initial music as a powerful brand-new kind of cultural diplomacy.
Candidates should be in between 19 and 35 years of age throughout the program dates (Fall 2019, precise dates TBD).
2018 Qualified Nations and Territories
Albania, Algeria, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mali, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Russia, Senegal, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zimbabwe
Candidates ought to prepare to blog about their musical background and interests in addition to future tasks and objectives. Candidates will be asked to send 3-5 samples of their solo and collective work (both audio and video are accepted).
- Musical Quality– A high level of efficiency, structure, improvisational, production and/or technological ability. Preferably OneBeat artists will be innovating stylistically, lyrically, or technically within their musical worlds.
- Cooperation– Candidates’ desire to reach throughout cultural and musical divides in developing initial music or re-interpreting standard music, while appreciating the essence of each custom. Candidates ought to be prepared to attempt brand-new things musically.
- Social Engagement– Artists who have actually utilized music to serve their neighborhoods or higher societies. This may include directing youths in music education, dealing with social or political problems through musical material, restoring passing away musical customs, and more.
- Age– Candidates should be in between 19-35 years of ages.
- English Efficiency– Candidates ought to have the ability to speak in and comprehend standard English, as it will be the typical language of the OneBeat program.
- Nation or Area of Origin– OneBeat Fellows should presently live full-time in among the 40 qualified nations and areas. We likewise look for candidates who have actually not taken a trip thoroughly to the U.S. or have actually seldom carried out in the U.S.
- Web Efficiency– Whenever possible, OneBeat Fellows ought to actively utilize e-mail and have the ability to link to the web to take part in OneBeat website-based activities.
- All expenses will be covered for OneBeat Fellows, consisting of travel and lodgings.
- Fellows will likewise get a daily and a modest honorarium.
To Find Out More: