Deadline: September 27, 2018
Applications are invited for the OPCW Workshop on Policy and Diplomacy for Scientists 2018. The objective of the workshop is to raise awareness among young scientists on the policy and diplomacy aspects that are related to the use of chemicals in various scientific disciplines, including chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, and other related fields.
In particular, scientists will be updated on the Chemical Weapons Convention and other international treaties and regulatory tools governing the transfer and use of chemicals. Aspects related to sustainability, ethics, and responsibility in research practices, as well as safety and security norms and standards in science, will also be addressed.
The ultimate goal of the event will be to bridge the gap between scientists and policymakers and to promote the adoption of responsible and sustainable practices by scientists in Asian Member States of the OPCW. The workshop is offered to Asian Member States and will be held in New Delhi, India, from October 30 to November 2, 2018.
The four-day workshop will include theoretical lectures and interactive sessions on the following topics:
- The work of international organisations in the promotion and control of the science and technology (S&T) and industrial activities in chemical and biochemical sciences, and related regulations imposed by the international treaties;
- The impact of developments in S&T on international security and on the implementation of international treaties;
- Science advice and science diplomacy;
- The concept of sustainability in industrial and research activities;
- Issues related to the multiple uses of science;
- Ethics in science and responsible research practices; and
- A study tour on a selected topic.
- The cost of tuition for all participants will be covered by the OPCW;
- Approximately 20 selected participants will receive sponsorship from the OPCW, covering international travel, medical and travel insurance, and a daily subsistence allowance.
- The workshop is open to those who have a PhD in natural sciences (for example chemistry, biology, physics, geology) or related engineering from a recognised university or institution;
- Are citizens of OPCW Member States in the Asian Region;
- Have been working in the field of applied chemical or biochemical or related sciences (research, academia, or industry) for at least five years;
- Are young scientists at the beginning of their scientific career;
- The workshop will be conducted in English. Participants must therefore have a strong command of both written and spoken English;
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Application form must be accompanied by the following:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A one-page description of the applicant’s motivation to attend the workshop;
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s supervisor at his or her institution addressing the applicant’s qualifications and attesting to the relevance of the programme to the work of the institution; and
- A photocopy of the personal identification pages of the applicant’s passport.
Please submit the completed form to:
The Director, International Cooperation and Assistance Division, OPCW
Johan de Wittlaan 32, 2517 JR The Hague, the Netherlands
Email: [email protected]
For more information, visit OPCW Workshop.