Due Date: November 5, 2018
The Females, Peace and Security (WPS) program at Columbia University welcomes applications for the Peace and Social Modification Fellowship Program The fellowship is created to produce understanding, construct abilities, enhance relationships and exchange techniques amongst frontline ladies changemakers dealing with problems of social modification, justice, and, more broadly, security for all individuals.
Through six-month fellowship cycles, friends of ladies changemakers representing a range of geographical and thematic locations will come together as an important knowing neighborhood to gain from and with each other, both essentially and personally. As part of the fellowship, each fellow will be welcomed to bring agents from their particular companies and motions for 2 in-person workshops: one at the start of the fellowship and one at the end.
All expenses associated with the in-person convenings will be covered.
The fellowship will start with a three-day Peace and Social Modification workshop that will occur in Nairobi, Kenya in January2019 Fellows will be welcomed to bring one to 2 agents from their companies with them to the workshop in order to increase cross-learning within their particular companies/ motions.
After the January workshop, Women, Peace and Security (WPS) program personnel will help with 6 months of continuous interaction amongst the fellowship accomplice by means of webinars and e-mail. They will likewise link fellows with college student scientists from Columbia University and The Graduate Center of The City University of New York City (CUNY). This group of college student scientists will assist increase the presence of fellows’ work and companies through interdisciplinary research study tasks based upon fellows’ feedback and reported requirements. In July 2019, fellows, WPS personnel and college student scientists will satisfy for a 2nd event in Nairobi, Kenya to go over and provide their collective work.
All individuals will have expenses associated with take a trip, lodging, and meals throughout the Nairobi workshop covered.
The fellowship will supply fellows a platform to increase the presence of their work and will enhance their relationships with other ladies changemakers in the field through:
- The exchange and development of understanding with fellow grassroots activists and specialists throughout Africa working broadly on elements of peace and security, consisting of styles such as reproductive health, ecological justice, refugee rights, gender based violence and more.
- 6 months of continuous exchange and skill-sharing workshops based upon feedback and style by fellows.
- Tailored research study assistance from college students based upon the requirements and dreams of fellows and their organizations/movements.
- The chance to gain from and establish relationships with other fellows and with a variety of professors and WPS program personnel, consisting of Nobel Laureate, peace activist, and WPS Executive Program Director Leymah Gbowee, to name a few.
The fellowship is created for ladies grassroots activists who:
- Currently deal with behalf of an African-based, grassroots-level company or motion in the location of social justice and social modification such as, however not restricted to, gender based violence, land rights, environment modification, maternal health, and so on
- Presently live in Africa
- Have a history of movement-building or change-making in their neighborhood
- Have some element of their work associated to the style of peace and security
- Are readily available to take a trip to Nairobi, Kenya in January 2019 and July 2019 for 2 3- day workshops
- Have an interest in teaming up with college students from The United States to produce research study for motion assistance
- All levels of experience are welcomed to use
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Excel in English
For additional information, see Peace and Social Modification Fellowship