Application Due Date: 23.00 hrs CET on 30 September 2018.
Hackathon for Environmental Sensors (Hardware) and IoT for Environment Solutions
Date: 19-23 November 2018 @ KNUST Kumasi Service Incubator, Kumasi
TWIGA is a 4-year task (2019– 2023) under EU Horizon2020 intended to change weather condition water information into value-added info services. It is comprised of a consortium of 18 partners– 8 from Africa and 10 from Europe.
At the minute the product or services being thought about a few of which have actually been evaluated by TWIGA partners remain in the Farming, Water, Energy, Catastrophe Reaction and Management and Insurance coverage sectors. For these product or services to be effective on the Africa market, frequently they have to be bundled and might need public-private collaborations ( Bellagio-African-PPP-for-Climate-services 2017).
For Farming, the following items are being thought about: farming understanding and info systems, crop tracking (health and yield), website examination for crops, crop choice and calendar, weather condition forecasting, fertilizer recommendations, Insect and illness management, sowing and planting encourage, water usage and watering recommendations, soil wetness evaluation and modeling, soil nutrients evaluation, salinity evaluation, flood threat evaluation, flood early caution system, dry spell threat evaluation, dry spell tracking, Severe weather condition threat evaluation, Severe weather condition early caution, catastrophe tracking and effect evaluation, farming (index) insurance coverage, market gain access to evaluation and market info, environment modification modeling and tracking, pasture and water bodies recognition and tracking, forest and bushfire caution and tracking, farming control and compliance tracking (Noort, 2018).
Goals of the Hackathon
To promote participation by young researchers and business owners, TWIGA will arrange 5 hackathons; 3 on advancement of geo-services at Strathmore (Kenya), TU Delft (Netherlands) and SAWS (South Africa), and 2 on sensing unit advancement at KNUST (Ghana) and TU Delft (Netherlands).
Due to the fact that the hackathon will be partially moneyed by TWIGA, there needs to be a practical outlook to a service. For that reason the goal of the hackathon in Kumasi will be to establish a practical item (ecological sensing unit and/or service) in 5 days in line with the TWIGA product or services detailed above.
- 5 Groups of not more than 3 individuals per group will be welcomed if they fulfill all the set requirements. There are rewards of EUR1500, EUR1000, and EUR500 for primary, 2 and 3. These 3 finalists will be supported to take their concepts from concept to complete model all set to be evaluated on the marketplace within 2 years.
- The copyright rights of the winning models established throughout the course of the 5 days Hackathon will be shared in between the designers and the TWIGA task.
Requirements and Application Treatment
- The call is open to just groups from Ghana. Comparable hackathons will be arranged in other parts of Africa later on.
- The groups might be formed by private persons, trainees, start-ups, business, NGOs or federal government companies.
- Groups ought to have competence in software application and hardware advancement. All groups have to be physically present throughout the 5-day Hackathon in Kumasi.
All interested groups ought to send their application (2– page idea note, and the resume or CV of all proposed staff member) on the ecological sensing unit( s) and/or IoT for environment service they mean to establish to info@twiga-h2020 eu with the words [TWIGA Hackathon in Kumasi] in the subject line of the e-mail. The application needs to be sent by 23.00 hrs CET on 30 September 2018.
Start-ups that offered letters of assistance for the TWIGA task proposition are extremely motivated to use in addition to groups with ladies.
To Learn More: