Due Date: October 7, 2019
Elections are welcomed for the NAS Awards– James Craig Watson Medal 2020 The James Craig Watson Medal exists every 2 years for impressive contributions to the science of astronomy.
The Watson Medal was developed by NAS Member and respected Canadian-American astronomer, James Craig Watson. Watson is credited with finding twenty-two asteroids in his life time. He released lots of posts and composed A Popular Writing on Comets (1861) and Theoretical Astronomy (1868).
The Watson Medal was very first granted in 1887 to Benjamin Apthorp Gould for his work promoting the development of huge science. Gould was not just an astronomer, however likewise active in protecting the facility of the National Academy of Sciences. To name a few contributions to astronomy, Gould mapped the stars of the southern skies. This four-year long undertaking included making use of the just recently established photometric approach, and upon the publication of its lead to 1879, it was gotten as a substantial contribution to science.
The award consists of:
- A gold-plated bronze medal
- A $25,000 reward, and
- $50,000 to support the recipient’s research study.
- Self-nominations are declined.
- Joint elections are prevented and will just be thought about when candidates have actually teamed up carefully– typically in the very same lab– on the work to be acknowledged by the award.
- NAS subscription is not needed to choose or to be chosen.
- Worldwide candidates are qualified for election unless clearly mentioned otherwise.
All elections need to be sent online Unless otherwise mentioned, the following products need to be sent.
- A letter from the nominator explaining the prospect’s work and why she or he must be chosen for the award. No greater than 3 (3) pages.
- Curriculum vitae. No greater than 2 (2) pages (comparable to CVs consisted of with NSF propositions).
- Bibliography listing no greater than twelve (12) of the candidate’s most considerable publications.
- Recommended citation. A 50- word summary specifying why the candidate must be thought about for this award. Citation examples
- 2 letters of assistance. Assistance letters need to be composed by people from organizations outside both the nominator’s and the candidate’s organization.
To learn more, see James Craig Watson Medal