Due Date: February 10, 2019
Applications are open for the 2019 Rice Organisation Strategy Competitors (RBPC)– the world’s wealthiest and biggest graduate-level trainee start-up competitors happening April 4-6,2019 The competitors is developed to provide college business owners a real-world experience to pitch their start-ups to financiers, get mentoring, network with the entrepreneurial environment, improve their start-up technique, and discover what it requires to introduce an effective start-up.
It is hosted and arranged by the Rice Alliance for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Organisation at Rice University. The Rice Alliance is Rice University’s internationally-recognized effort dedicated to the assistance of entrepreneurship. This will be the 19 th year for the competitors.
Judges will assess the groups as real-world business owners getting start-up funds from early-stage financiers and equity capital companies. The judges are asked to rank the discussions based upon which business they would more than likely invest. In truth, 87% of the 275 judges at the 2018 RBPC stated they were thinking about buying a group they saw pitch or satisfied, or stated they referred a group to a financier in their network.
Sectors Start-ups need to fall under among 4 classifications or sectors:
- Energy/Clean Innovation(consisting of however not restricted to): Sustainability, Water, Battery Technologies, Control Systems, Smart Metering, PV Innovation, Gas, Transportation/Mobility, Oil & Gas Technologies, Algae, Fuel Cells, Hybrid Cars
- Tech(consisting of however not restricted to): Mobile Apps/Software, Digital Media, Customer Web, B2B Applications, Business Software Application, SAAS, Web, Virtual Truth, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Expert System, Drones, Hardware, Robotics, Unmanned Cars, Web, IoT
- Life Sciences(consisting of however not restricted to): Medical Gadgets, Diagnostics, Digital Health, Health IT, Biotech, Therapy
- Other Developments(consisting of however not restricted to): Advanced Products, Composites, Nanotechnology, Customer, Other Innovation
- They supply an extreme, immersive experience over the course 3 days for trainee start-up creators to pitch to financiers, get numerous rounds of feedback and advance their start-up.
- There will be over $1.5 million in rewards, and all 42 groups who contend at Rice University in Houston are ensured to win prize money. Presently, the minimum prize money is $500 and the grand reward winner gets a $300,000 financial investment (generally in the type of a convertible financial obligation note, without geographical constraints.)
Your startup/venture/team need to satisfy all the eligibility requirements in order to be chosen to contend. Please verify that you satisfy the following requirements prior to using:
The start-ups contending at Rice needs to consist of a minimum of 2 degree-seeking trainees:
- Among these trainees need to be an existing or recently-graduated graduate-level trainee. This consists of MBA, PhD, MD, JD, and Master’s prospects.
- The other trainee might be an existing or just recently– finished graduate-level trainee, or present or recently-graduated undergraduate-level trainee.
- ” Present” implies presently looking for a degree, registered on a complete- or part-time basis (i.e., in the scholastic year from July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019).
- ” Just recently finished” implies trainees who will finish whenever after July 1,2018 (For instance, December 2018 graduates are qualified to contend).
- Modifications might perhaps be produced groups from non-U.S. universities that have a various scholastic calendar; please contact the RBPC Director if you are from a non-U.S. school and feel this uses to you.
- Groups might be consisted of trainees from various schools
- As much as 5 employee will be permitted to contend and provide at the RBPC. All of those 5 employee need to be present or recently-graduated trainees.
- A minimum of 2 employee need to provide in every round on Friday and Saturday, with a minimum of 2 of those members satisfying the trainee requirements above. The exception is the Elevator Pitch Competitors on Thursday night; just one trainee in the start-up will provide then.
- Not qualified: Trainees who finished prior to July 1, 2018
- Not qualified: Start-ups that have actually contended in previous Rice Organisation Strategy Competitions
- Not qualified: groups or innovations that formerly provided or contended in the RBPC
All endeavors need to be looking for outside equity capital, generally early-stage equity capital financial investment or earlystage angel financial investment.
- All endeavors need to be “for revenue” entities.
- Start-ups might have raised ANY level of equity financing AFTER July 1, 2018.
- Equity financing granted as part of an accelerator/incubator program does count towards financing limitations.
- Research study and other grants; competitors profits; conventional loans; and any loved ones financing do not count towards financing limitation.
Not qualified: Start-ups that have actually raised more than $250,000 in equity capital from sources aside from the trainees or their pals or households prior to July 1, 2018 are not qualified to contend.
Not qualified: Ventures with more than $100,000 in earnings in previous scholastic years (significance prior to July 1, 2018), are not qualified to contend.
- One member of your start-up, the designated leader, need to finish the easy online application.
- The application includes a responding to a brief study, connecting an Executive Summary (optimal 5 pages), and consisting of an optional Video Elevator Pitch (optimum 2 minutes).
- Numerous trainee start-up groups from the exact same school, organization or university center might use to contend. There is no limitation on the variety of applications per school.
- There no charges to use or to contend.
- As soon as an application is sent, no modifications can be made.
The application need to be finished by Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 5: 00 pm CST. Groups welcomed to contend in the Rice Organisation Strategy Competitors will be informed through our Facebook Live video occasion and by e-mail on Wednesday, February 27, 2019.
For more details, go to Rice Organisation Strategy Competitors