Application Deadline:20 July 2021
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation, founded by the Royal Academy of Engineering, is Africa’s biggest prize dedicated to engineering innovation. It awards crucial commercialisation support to ambitious African innovators developing scalable engineering solutions to local challenges, demonstrating the importance of engineering as an enabler of improved quality of life and economic development.
An eight-month period of tailored training and mentoring culminates in a showcase event where a winner is selected to receive £25,000 along with three runners-up, who are each awarded £10,000
The Africa Prize recognises ambitious African innovators developing scalable engineering solutions to local challenges and this year’s shortlist represents nine countries including, for the first time, Côte d’Ivoire, Senegal, Ethiopia and the Gambia. Six of the 16-strong shortlist are female innovators.
Applicants must have developed, or be in the process of developing, a new technological innovation. Applicants should have the ambition to take a leading role in creating a new business to commercialize this innovation.
• aim to promote the welfare and economic development of a country or countries in sub-Saharan Africa
• be designed to address a development need or specific challenge facing that country.
Each year, up to 16 shortlisted African innovators receive a unique package of support over seven months to help them accelerate their businesses. The benefits of selection include comprehensive and tailored business training, sector-specific engineering mentoring, communications support, pitching
opportunities and access to the Academy’s network of high profile, experienced engineers and business experts in the UK and across Africa.
Tailored training and mentoring culminates in a showcase event where a winner is selected to receive £25,000 along with three runners-up, who are each awarded £10,000.
- Application submitted by Tuesday 20 July 2021, 12pm (BST)
- Checked for eligibility in July and August 2021
- Reviewed by technical expert in August and September 2021
- Shortlist selected by judging panel by October 2021
- All applicants will be notified of their application outcome by the end of November 2021.
For More Information: