Application Deadline: September 3rd 2018
Salzburg Global Seminar invites young cultural innovators based in Nairobi, to apply for the 5th annual session of the Young Cultural Innovators Forum, generously supported by The Lloyd A. Fry Foundation.
salzburg Global Seminar is an independent non-profit organization that challenges current and future leaders to shape a better world. Participants in the YCI Forum will become members of the Salzburg Global Seminar Fellowship network, which since our inception in 1947, includes more than 36,000 participants from over 170 countries.
The Young Cultural Innovators (YCI) Forum is a ten-year initiative designed to
nurture the current generation of young cultural innovators through capacity
building, mentoring, and global networking. The network is multi-disciplinary
and encompasses creative disciplines ranging from the visual and performing arts,
literature, and cultural heritage, to foods, fashion, architecture, and design.
Young cultural innovators (YCIs) are highly motivated, creative catalysts with
high potential to produce positive community change, particularly in underserved
The YCI Forum aims to empower the creative sector as a catalyst of
economic, social and urban transformation around the globe by linking individuals
and communities connected to the program with one another through programs
in Salzburg, follow-up events, inter-hub exchanges, cross-border projects, and other activities.
The Program in Salzburg
The YCI Forum offers an opportunity for participants to be part of an intensive
program taking place at Schloss Leopoldskron in Salzburg, Austria, from October
16 to 21, 2018. Combining theory and practice, with keynote presentations focusing
on “big picture” issues facing the cultural sector and with skills-building sessions on
communicating value; principles of self-organization; cross-sectoral collaboration;
and leadership and values.
- Selected participants will receive a full scholarship to participate in the YCI program, including the session fee, travel support, room and board.
To qualify, all applicants must:
• Be 25–35 years of age.
• Be proficient in English the working language of the YCI Forum.
• Work in Nairobi, Kenya.
• Have at least 1–3 years of professional experience in the cultural sector, creative industries, and/or at an arts organization or institution.
• Want to become an active member of the Nairobi YCI Hub and global network, and be prepared to commit time, energy, and resources to sustaining these.
• Aim to create social change and strengthen the position of the arts and cultural institutions within your community.
• Demonstrate creativity in approach to work, openness to innovation and risk-taking, action-orientation, and entrepreneurial inclination.
• Have a cross-sectoral approach to work and demonstrate an interest in building cross-sectoral alliances/partnerships beyond the cultural sector.
• Exhibit passion, enthusiasm, and leadership potential.
All applicants must submit the following information online using the registration form at
A personal statement (approx. 500 words) detailing:
• Your motivation for applying to the Young Cultural Innovators Forum;
• What you hope to take away from the program;
• What you will contribute to the local and global YCI network;
• How your participation will have an impact on your local community.
A brief bio (sample on application form).
A photo of yourself (this does not need to be professionally taken).
A CV/Resume including name and email address of 2 references.
For questions concerning the application please contact Bernadette
Prasser (email@example.com). Please include only then information outlined above. All applications should be directed to Salzburg Global Seminar.
For More Information: