Deadline: July 1, 2021
Applications are open for the Schmidt Science Fellows Program 2022. The Schmidt Science Fellows program provides the world’s best emerging scientists with new skills and perspectives to develop novel solutions to society’s challenges, become scientific and societal thought leaders, and accelerate ground-breaking discoveries.
Schmidt Science Fellows undertake a year-long postdoctoral placement. This placement commences after a Fellow successfully completes his or her PhD in the natural sciences, computing, engineering or mathematics. Fellows’ placements will represent a significant disciplinary pivot from their PhD topic and are central to the program’s aim to foster greater interdisciplinarity. All placements are with world-leading scientific leaders and internationally-renowned labs. The program works with Fellows after selection to identify and secure a placement that will best achieve their scientific pivot. They work with each placement host to ensure Fellows benefit from a stimulating, challenging, and rewarding environment.
- The Fellows receive a stipend of $100,000 for their living expenses. All costs associated with the Global Meeting Series – including travel, temporary lodging, and meals – are fully reimbursed.
- They look for the brightest minds in the natural sciences, mathematics, engineering, and computing who are interested in broadening their horizons.
- Applicant must have fulfilled, or expect to fulfil, all of the requirements for the conferral of their PhD, including a successful defence between June 1 and July 30, 2022.
- Candidates to be Schmidt Science Fellows are expected to already have a strong track record of scientific achievement from their PhD studies, combined with a clear intellectual curiosity and desire to drive future discoveries.
- They should have the commitment and character to engage with society and global challenges to making a lasting difference in the world.
- Fellows should have a collaborative spirit with the experience and desire to work with diverse teams and across scientific disciplines.
Applicants must be nominated by a designated senior executive at a leading academic institution invited to nominate for the Fellowship and where the individual has pursued a PhD in an applicable field of the Natural Sciences (including Chemistry, Biology and Neurobiology, Physics, Astronomy, and Earth Sciences), Engineering, Mathematics and Computing.
Individuals nominated by these institutions are then sent an invitation with the necessary log-in credentials to apply for the program.
For more information, visit Schmidt Science Fellows.